Link: CHRISTINE review


I enjoyed Steven Brandt's energetic review of Christine in at SF Site.  He is reviewing the book's audio edition, which is also how I read Christine.  Though sometimes long and awkward at points, I absolutely fell in love with this novel.  (See my Christine Journal).

I like this: "Lots of authors have written about haunted houses, but I can think of only one story about a haunted car. I love the way King personifies Christine: the snarling mouth of her grill, the slender curves of her body, the furious scream of her engine, and especially the glowing dashboard dials, like two eyes that watch whoever is inside the car. It becomes entirely too easy to think of Christine as Arnie's girl, his protector and his jealous lover."

Brandt note the strength of King's writing and character building.  That's interesting, since many people do not think Christine is well written.  When i recently read Christine, the power of King's writing also stood out to me. 

Discussing the relationship between Dennis and Arnie, Brandt writes, "It is the special nature of that friendship that makes Christine such a tragedy, and further serves to illustrate the almost human nature of the car. What else could come between such close friends besides a girl?"

http://www.sfsite.com/05a/ch343.htm

2 comments:

  1. I always liked CHRISTINE too. King's use of rock'n'roll lyrics hit a fever pitch here as well. Love that ending: "Her unending fury" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Will. I was surprised at how many bad reviews the book got at the time. . . but now, as it goes out on audio, there seems to be a reassessing.

    ReplyDelete