Jason Sacks Review: One For The Road



I was unaware this book existed until i read Jason Sacks' review!  It is an illustrated short story: One For The Road.  Sacks writes: The book isn't quite comics; it’s illustrated fiction with the text of the story appearing on one page and the art appearing on the opposite page. In that way, this story avoids one of the great flaws that many adaptations of King's work share: that readers don't get to enjoy King's evocative and entertaining phrasing.


He also notes, "King's work has always been well known for its verisimilitude with the writer’s wonderful ability to capture the colloquial way that people actually speak. That realism is ideal for this story, as it's told by a small-town bartender in an out-of-a-way bar on the night of a horrific blizzard. If the book had been done as an adaptation of King's work rather than as a prose-and-pictures presentation, readers would simply not be able to enjoy the dialectical realism of King's narrative."


Full review here: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/130633411553584.htm

3 comments:

  1. Interesting; I'd never heard of this. Someone on Amazon would be happy to sell me a copy for $125, though ... so I'm officially unlikely to ever see a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at this... Bloggers latest bug-aboo is that it own't let me publish under my name. Sweet.

    I spotted that price, too, Bryant. Put it on the list of "someday I'll find this" and thus the hunt begins. But not at $125. Besides, I've got to pay for that CD edition of IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Blogger is having some serious issues lately, isn't it?

    Not a chance that I'd spend $125 on this, not unless my financial situation changed radically.

    That said, I did bite the bullet today and plunk down the money for the Cemetery Dance "It." I really can't afford it -- I'll be eating sandwiches for the next month in order to pay for it -- but I just love that novel so much that I'd be a little heartbroken if it sold out before I could get to it.

    But "One for the Road"? Not a chance.

    ReplyDelete