Time Travel At Its Best



I'm really enjoying 11.22.63 !  This is one fantastic book.  As with all good time travel stories, King doesn't spend long on the how; it's about the story. 

So, here are my top 5 favorite time travel movies:

1. Back to the Future.  The second one got a little wearisome when they almost endangered their original mission.  King fixes these kinds of issues with the "reset" concept.

2. The Final Countdown.  Have you seen this one?  A modern (1980's) aircraft carrier goes through a storm and comes out in 1941, days before Pearl Harbor.  Do they dare use modern technology to alter history?  I don't think this was big in theaters, but I think it's great.

3. The Time Machine.  Based on H.G. Wells novel, the original Time Machine is very well done.  The story is great.  Also enjoyed the episode of Big Bang Theory when the guys bought the original Time Machine prop.  Good stuff.

4. Star Trek 4, The Voyage Home.  Sling shot around the sun, and you create a time warp that wills end you to the exact date you want.  Sound stupid?  It is -- but so is a Delorean time machine and a closet of a diner!  Anyway, of all Star Trek's time warping, this is just about the best there is.  A probe arrives at earth, wanting to talk to extinct humpback whales.  The Enterprise shoots back in time to save the whales. 

5. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.  This is serious history here!  We meet Abe Lincoln -- and a cast of mostly forgettable characters as Bill and Ted travel through time in a phone booth to get a passing grade in history class.  Beats out Terminator on my list!  And does Superman count?  he did fly real fast around earth to bring Lois back to life. . . was that time travel? 

Okay, your turn!

5 comments:

  1. I suppose "Superman" does count, sorta.

    Speaking of Christopher Reeve and time-travel, I always liked "Somewhere In Time." Gorgeous Jane Seymour, a wonderful score by John Barry -- good stuff!

    I'd also like to throw some love out for the original "Planet of the Apes," and for "Donnie Darko."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO! I haven't seen any of those !!! I am culturally inept.
    david

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll let you off the hook on both "Somewhere In Time" and "Donnie Darko," but you're in the Honk Mahfah Jailhouse for never having seen "Planet of the Apes"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would land in Honk Mahfah jailhouse for that blunder in my education.
    david

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth is, it hasn't aged all THAT well. It's best watched now as an honorary "Twilight Zone" episode.

    I highly recommend "Somewhere In Time," though. That's a damn good movie, and the romance/time-travel element is at least vaguely reminiscent of "11/22/63."

    ReplyDelete