11.22.63 Journal #5: What are you thinking ?

I am well immersed in 11/22/63.  It is great.  I find myself yelling at Jake quite a lot lately.  "What are you thinking?" is usually what Mr. Epping is getting from me these days.

Okay, rules of time travel say you should not do anything in the past that might change the future.  We are told over and over that the future is fragile.  So, if that is the case, why in the world is Jake building a relationship with a woman?  What if she is supposed to have children with someone else, and he is messing that up?  Why is he tracking Oswald?  He knows what the sucker is going to do, so just knock him off and get moving.  Doesn't moving in right next door, and bugging his house no less, seem a little -- dangerous? 

Didn't Al's notes instruct him not to fall in love?  If the past is so fragile, shouldn't he be executing this plan with a lot more precision?

Wait, because there is more.  By directing school plays, students are telling him he "changed my life."  If he is changing peoples lives. . . he is changing the future.

I haven't read the end of this book -- it's just a humble journal entry.  But I am wondering what's up with my friend Jake.  I like him very much, but cannot for the life of my understand why he does what he does!  If he's going to lead Sadie on, he might as well level with her.  She's in for a big surprise the night he kills Oswald, right?  Isn't he inflicting great emotional harm to her by killing someone and then disappearing out of their life?  And if he brakes her emotionally, might that mess up other relationships she was destined for?

That's the wonderings of someone who thoroughly enjoys this book, but is also yelling at the main character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment