Why I Wrote "Stephen King, A Face Among The Masters"



I was at a book signing a few weeks ago at my church.  There was a table promoting books I'd written, and all the books were blown up huge. I was startled to see the Stephen King book in the mix.  (I hadn't expected the church to promote it.)  Not to mention, I hadn't written the book under my name.

That night, as I signed books, I got asked the question several times, "So why did you write a book about Stephen King?" 

Here's the short answer:
Because I don't think Stephen King has been taken as seriously as he should.  I think he's made a genuine, and lasting, contribution to American literature.  He as described through novels our era as much as Dickens gave us Victorian England.  Stephen King might be known for writing a bunch of scary stories, but really, his work is much more important.   I think future generations will study Stephen King the way I  studied Poe and Dickens.  He has left a huge cultural imprint."
There were other factors as well. As I blogged and researched,  I was slowly accumulating a mass of research material on subjects I didn't feel had been covered well in other books.  Why was no one talking about King's use of Poe in The Stand?  Did anyone notice King gave a nod to HP Lovecraft?  And why were there no chapters in the many books I had that discussed Stephen King and vintage radio?

It seemed to me that King was often asked, "Who influenced you?" But few people were looking directly at King's writing to examine independently what had impacted the writer and his style.

I do wish I'd written a chapter  on Mark Twain.  It seems Twain was a huge influence on King; and a lot of The Talisman is a nod back to  Twain.  But, I didn't think of it until the book went to print!  So It's a new area to study.  

4 comments:

  1. I think part of the reason not many books are written about King is for two reasons.

    1. He's still current, and alive

    2. He doesn't seem to be finished writing (at least I hope not).

    Neil Gaiman if suffering the same fate it seems. Because both authors are still active and still in the public consciousness, it may take quite a few years before the big, long scholarly tomes start to appear anytime soon (in fact, I think there is even LESS scholarly books on Gaiman than King).

    Maybe you can include Twain in a second edition?

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I think you're right. It's hard for us to realize we have a living treasure. Except in the case of Bradbury and Matheson.

    Yes, if I do a second edition, Twain will be included. But I'm not familiar with Twain enough to really do it justice. I would need to convince Bryant Burnette to ghost write it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real crime is I'm not finding much out there on Bradbury either. And with school curriculums the way they are, we might not see much for some time. Just like Bradbury predicted, actually.

      ChrisC

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough about Twain to write that! I've only read "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn," and neither of those recently.

      He's on my list, though.

      Delete