Swan Song Journal #3



As with all journal entries, don't read the journal if you didn't already read the book.

Just some brief notes:

1. There's a lot of war.  The battle  at the mall against the religious cult was great.  I was really surprised when the Army of Excellence didn't run them over hands down.

Up to that point in the book, it seemed like whoever McCammon was following would have the upper-hand in a scene.   But then -- BAM!  He knocked around the AOE and left a few battered bodies strewn about.

After enduring heavy losses, The Army of Excellence regroups and builds an incredible siege machine.  It's a massive rolling tower  reminiscent of a roman trebuchet.  Listening to the novel as I ran, I wondered if McCammon actually built a model of  this war machine.  He described it so  energetically -- but the ideas can't be fully conveyed.  As a reader, I'm left going, "Okay, Robert, I trust you.  It's a big rolling machine with lots of parts."  But he so obviously wants me, the reader, to see what he sees.  Did he build  it out of legos?  I really would ask him that if I could!

The battle at Mary's Rest is extremely long,detailed and quite engaging.

2. I have no idea where this book is going. But I DID know Job's mask had to be a cocoon.  But what comes out of the mask was a surprise to me.

3. It's interesting how McCammon shows characters progress and slowly change.

This is particularly true of Roland.  So far, though, no "bad" characters have repented and turned good.

Also, in the area of character progression is the town of Mary's Rest.  McCammon not only shows individual people changing, but in the case of Mary's Rest, the entire town changes as Swan gives them hope.

When Josh and Swan (and Mule -- which is a horse) first arrived in Mary's Rest, the people were  a bunch of scavengers.  They tore the wagon apart and revealed an amazing cowardice. But as the story progressed, the town changed.

I kept thinking the town would sell out when the AOE demanded they hand over Swan.  (Think Storm of the Century here.)  But instead, the town fights with everything it's got to protect their fields, their homes, their water -- and most of all, the girl with the power to give life. No one even broaches the idea of handing her over to the enemy.

4. There are parts of this book that are really scary.  But then, I am reading them as I run alone through the desert at midnight.  Yes, I do hear Coyotes howling.  Might be adding to the fear factor here.  I really do think the dark man, the man of a thousand faces -- is much more scary than Flagg.  But it's really pointless to compare the two.

5. I really wish they had put the chapter titles with the chapters and not just a list at the beginning of the part.  It makes it impossible when listening to know what chapter you are on; while in print you can just glance back and count.  Which is still awkward.  Why did they do that?  WHY?

6. I read one review that complained there are no animals.  I don't know what book they read.  There's a horse called Mule.  Lots of wolves.  Dogs.  Cats.  And rats.  OH!  Enough rats to keep Stephen King happy.  And, what's even better, they eat the rats.  Rat stew anyone?

7. Everyone who has read this book gives me these vague warnings.  "Oh, that's a really good book.  Things aren't going to come out the way you think."  What's that mean?  Does Swan die?

8. The announcement that God is on Warwick Mountain is ominous.  
I like Roland's excitement at the thought that maybe it isn't God -- but a giant computer with a power source.  I'm anxious for them to get to the mountain and find out what's up!

9. Comparing the book to the Stand, which is almost impossible not to do -- brings about an obvious difference.  The Stand is very character driven; Swan Song has a lot more action. In fact, The Stand promises a giant battle; and the reader presses forward, anxious to see the gigantic battle between  good and evil. But that doesn't quite go down in traditional battle  format.  But in Swan Song, there is war all over the place.  I would love it if someone drew a map, like one of those old Civil War maps, and marked out the various battles.

2 comments:

  1. One difference I do note between Stand and Swan Song is that McCammon goes the much more survivalist route. This is a track King's book never picks up. However, because McCammon goes survivalist, that narrative choice in itself accounts (more or less) for the constant battles taking place.

    Two other books that mirror the relation between Swan and Stand are It and Floating Dragon. Both books tell of a small town under supernatural siege, yet, like McCammon I'd argue, Peter Straub goes in a more action oriented direction, while King's book seems to blend both actions and character in an even pace.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see another horror reader noting the similarities between FLOATING DRAGON and IT. I thought I was crazy when, many years after reading IT on publication, I read Straub's novel. I'd never heard anyone else ever mention it. Straub of course has talked of how he intended GHOST STORY to somewhat mirror 'SALEM'S LOT.

    That said, I should whisper: I'm not a McCammon fan! Tried to read SWAN back in the day and it never clicked, put it down unread, and none of his other books appealed to me. In fact I really didn't like his stories in BLUE WORLD at all when I read it two or three years ago. I now that's anomalous among '80s horror fans but oh well, it keeps the convo interesting.

    ReplyDelete