Hulu Takes On 11/22/63

direct-to-series order for “11/22/63."

Here's the  bullet points:

  • The show is anticipated to be a nine-hour miniseries.  
  • A release date has  not been announced.
  • Executive producers are King, Abrams through his Bad Robot Prods. (“Person of Interest,” “Fringe,” “Lost”), Bridget Carpenter and Bryan Burk. Bad Robot’s Kathy Lingg is co-executive producer, and Athena Wickham is producer.
  • Bridget Carpenter will write the teleplay. 

Spangler article notes that in announcing the pact, Stephen King said:
“If I ever wrote a book that cries out for long-form, event-TV programming, ‘11/22/63’ is it. I’m excited that it’s going to happen, and am looking forward to working with J.J. Abrams and the whole Bad Robot team.”

6 comments:

  1. I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, my thoughts about a possible 11/22/63 adapt happening, and that King is actually behind it, are as follows:

    YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH BABY!

    On the other hand, I'm just hoping this project doesn't wind up in development hell, like the Stand (it should still be an HBO/AMC TV series dang it!).

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Right now, I'm just hoping that, say, King is smart enough to recommend Darabont to helm the 63 project.

      ChrisC

      Delete
  3. It worries me that they have an asterisk by the whole thing:

    *might do more seasons if the first one is successful

    That's no good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where they may think their going with that.

      Are they planning a series revolving around the card carrying guys? If so, I don't think there's enough there to go on with.

      This is just part of a trend I've noticed where execs seem content to turn each story treatment they like into a comic book. The problem is, that only works for COMICS, not basic beginning, middle, and end stories like 63.

      ChrisC

      Delete
    2. I dunno, man. He goes back and tries to save Lincoln and John Lennon and whatnot?

      I'm not a filmmaker, so I don't know, but...it sounds like a terrible idea to me. Just film the friggin' story you've got and be done with it!

      Delete