THE MIST JOURNAL #1: Listening To The Mist



I started re-reading The Mist today.  I had  a long drive to Walmart (because when you live in the sticks,  it's a long drive!) and put in an old CD of Frank Muller reading The Mist.  I bought the tapes years ago and had them digitally remastered because they were in terrible shape.  Strange thing, I never listened all the way through.

I can't express how much better the actual unabridged reading of The Mist is to the 3D sound version that is pushed right now.  I don't know exactly what happened with the Muller recording, why it's not available, but it is far superior to a dramatization.  Words have power, and when we dramatize everything we lose something in the transmission.

Muller's narration is actually a little bland compared to the actors studios hire today.  But I like it a lot.  Sometimes over-acting gets in the way of the words as much as dramatizations do.  Muller's words are crisp, well paced and he always gives the right emphasis.  But he doesn't try to become the characters.  He's not an actor, he's a reader.

My wife noted that the way Muller read the chainsaw scene really did sound like a chainsaw -- and he never reduced himself to making artificial sounds.

The novella itself is all the more interesting since I've seen  the movie several times.  The movie really did bring the feel and tone of the book to the screen.

Some quick notes:

1. The story is told in first person. And interesting choice, since I think it probably boxed him in at the end.

2. I feel like I can tell that this was written quickly.  There is a certain energy about the book that is delightful.  From the first lines you can sense that King is excited to tell this story.  Did he stay up late writing this one?  I'll bet he did.

3. David's dream the night of the storm is quite interesting.  I've never seen any discussion about it.
In the dream I could hear the rending crack and splinter of breaking trees as God stamped the woods into the shape of His footsteps. He was circling the lake, coming toward the Bridgton side, toward us, and behind Him everything that had been green turned a bad gray and all the houses and cottages and summer places were bursting into purple-white flame like lightning, and soon the smoke covered everything. The smoke covered everything like a mist." (From The Mist, by Stephen King)
4. The first person narration also gives King the chance to give some ominous narration.  Get these lines:
Steff was standing on the cement path which leads to the vegetable patch at the extreme west end of our property. She had a pair of clippers in one gloved hand and the weeding claw in the other. She had put on her old floppy sunhat, and it cast a band of shadow over her face. I tapped the horn twice, lightly, and she raised the hand holding the clippers in answer. We pulled out. I haven’t seen my wife since then. (THE MIST, by Stephen King)
Couple  of things worth noting here.  One is just the line, "I haven't seen my wife since then" grabs the readers attention.  We now know something really bad is about to happen.  Second, king went to a lot of detail to describe David's wife, only to dismiss her in the same paragraph.

5. I like the way David and his wife pass notes back and forth. Today they would text one another, though the storm would have probably knocked that out.

6. Unlike some child characters, Billy really does come across as a kid.  I love the scenes where his dad keeps letting him have sips of his beer.  Not because I really think this is in anyway a good idea, but it seems real.  It's the kind of detail many writers would avoid.

7.  King makes the reader feel a bit of despair at the loss of Norton's 1960 Thunderbird.  Why is that strange?  Because it never existed!  I mean, the car is real -- but THAT car, Norton's car, never existed.  Yet I felt a bit of pain when I read about the tree falling on it.  I thought, "This is crazy.  I feel sad about a car getting destroyed by a tree -- and neither the car nor the tree ever existed.  This is all just stuff coming from Stephen King's messed up head."

Check out my article,
"Hunting The Mist Unabridged" (talkstephenking.blogspot.com)
"The Mist, Transferring Tapes To CD" (talkstephenking.blogspot.com)

5 comments:

  1. That dream scene -- of God moving through the trees -- is one of the most haunting things in all of King's books, for my money. And the parallel with the gigantic monstrosity that appears at the end (so huge its body disappears into the clouds) only makes it more so.

    I loved the movie, but I was bummed out that Darabont didn't quite manage to capture that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scene in the movie reminded me of the War of the Worlds robots. Not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "King makes the reader feel a bit of despair at the loss of Norton's 1960 Thunderbird. Why is that strange? Because it never existed! I mean, the car is real -- but THAT car, Norton's car, never existed. Yet I felt a bit of pain when I read about the tree falling on it. I thought, "This is crazy. I feel sad about a car getting destroyed by a tree -- and neither the car nor the tree ever existed. This is all just stuff coming from Stephen King's messed up head."

    Believe it or not, I'm in the first stages of Black House (initial judgment: why doesn't this book have more fans?!) and there is a scene in the first few pages that is actually a kind of comment on reactions like the one you had toward the imaginary Thunderbird.

    They describing one of the victims of a serial killer (yes, well, what else would it be with King and Straub) and they write the following:

    A tremendous mystery has inhabited this hovel, and it's effects and traces hover everywhere...A deep, deep gravity flows outward from the scene and this gravity humbles us. Humility is our best, most accurate first response. Without it, we would miss the point; the great mystery would escape us, and we would go on blind, deaf and ignorant as pigs. Let us not go on like pigs. We must honor this scene...by acknowledging our littleness. In comparison, we are no more than vapors."

    I remember reading that scene and knowing it was a commentary on a basic type of scene that has appeared in both King and Straub's books, and that their examination of this scene was a meta-fictional comment on it.

    My reaction was, "Yeah right, gimme a frakking break, you guys."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, I've found a professional online, two part video review of The Mist novella, and the Darabont adaptation, featuring side by side comparisons of scenes from the film with their respective passages in the novel.

      Part 1

      http://blip.tv/BloodSplatteredCinema/blood-splattered-adaptations-the-mist-part-i-6548722

      Part 2

      http://blip.tv/BloodSplatteredCinema/blood-splattered-adaptations-the-mist-part-ii-6553971

      They even reference the dream the main character has. Se what you think.

      ChrisC

      Delete