Darabont: Stephen King has an innate talent



I enjoyed Frank Darabont's interview at independent.co.  About Stephen King, Darabont writes,
Stephen King has an innate talent I’ve adapted several of his books for the screen [The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist] simply because he is one of the all-time great storytellers. He can put characters on a page that engage you in a way that few writers can. It’s a magic trick he has, and I’m not sure how he does it.
I'm currently reading The Mist and noting just how good the movie adaptation was.  When it comes to King's work, Darabont swung three home runs in a row.  He says that the lasting popularity of Shawshank brings a "pleasing level of respect, but nothing opens doors like a film that actually makes a lot of money."


1 comment:

  1. I feel kind of bad because I haven't watched "Mob City," his latest project. It's gotten only so-so reviews, but it's Darabont, so I'm definitely interested.

    I'm still holding out hope that he'll get to make "The Long Walk" at some point. I'd also love to see his adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451" eventually get made.

    ReplyDelete