Salem's Lot Journal #5: The Power Of Faith




Salem’s Lot was a complete thrill ride!

A few final notes:

Boo-Boo:

There is a boo-boo when a character is killed and hung upside down, Father Callahan says, “It’s as old as Macedonia. . . Hanging the body of your enemy or betrayer upside down so his head faces the earth instead of heaven.  St. Paul was crucified that way, on an X-shaped cross with his legs broken.”  Well, Father Callahan got his facts wrong on that one.  Paul didn’t die crucified upside down, Peter did.  It is said this was done at Peter’s request, because he did not want to die the same way Jesus did.

The Writing:

The writing is generally strong throughout.  There is a lot of plotting by the main characters.  We seem to spend a lot of time moving the chess pieces around the board, and at times it can get a little confusing.

I like this line. . . “The hammer struck the top of the stake squarely, and the gelatinous tremor that vibrated up the length of ash would haunt him forever in his dreams.  Her eyes flew open, wide and blue, as if from the very force of the blow.  Blood gushed upward from the stake’s point of entry in a bright and astonishing flood, splashing his hands, his shirt, his cheeks.  In an instant the cellar was filled with its hot, coppery odor.”  Notice in just a couple sentences, King told you hat to see, what to feel (the vibration of the hammer)and what to smell (coppery blood).  It is as if the reader is drawn into the scene with the characters.


Salem’s Lot ends with a series of newspaper articles.  In this sense it is very much like Carrie.  The articles give the novel a sense of realism.  They also. . . date the novel!  Each entry has a date that has long passed in our world.  A date when Jimmy Carter was president.

The date for Salem’s Lot – America, 1970's – is important.  Could an entire town be overtaken today?  With email, twitter, facebook and skype?

There is a scene in which the vampire Barlow leaves a lengthy letter for Ben and the others seeking to end his terror.  The letter is good, but seems a bit forced.  The vampire is gloating and preaching throughout the epistle.  But the reader (at least this reader) is left wondering, “Why would a vampire take the time to write a letter?”

King has said that he felt more free to have fun with this novel, and that is certainly felt.  King's joy, energy is evident throughout.

FAITH:

Callahan’s confrontation with the Vampire is interesting.  He chooses to rely on logic instead of faith.  The crucifix is like a faith thermometer: “The cross seemed to thrum with chained fire, and its power coursed up his forearm until the muscles bunched and trembled.” But as Callahan questions and doubts, the cross’s glow begins to die.

When his faith falters, the vampire seems genuinely upset.  “Sad to see a man’s faith fail.  Ah well. . .” Barlow boldly takes the cross from the priest and declares, “You have forgotten the doctrine of your own church, is it not so?  The cross. . . the bread and wine. . . only wood, the bread baked wheat, the wine sour grapes.  If you had cast the cross away, you should have beaten me another night.  In a way, I hoped it might be so.  It has been long since I have met an opponent of any real worth.  The boy makes ten of you, false priest.”

Salem’s Lot is an intensely spiritual novel.  It relies on Catholic doctrine – communion, confession as personal means of cleansing so that one is right with God.  In the end, though, it is not the ritual’s that defeat the enemy, but personal faith.  Very much like salvation itself!  Get baptized ten times, it does nothing unless it is a true expression of the repentant heart.

Barlow not only defeats the priest, he humiliates him.  He does not draw him in, but instead casts the priest out. . . after making Father Callahan drink from the Vampire’s blood.  The symbolism is powerful: The priest, who believes the communion wine becomes the blood of Christ, now drinks from the blood of evil.  But evil does not accept him in!  He is not drawn into a new house, but instead simply cast out.  Thus Callahan is not welcome in either the house of God or the house of Satan.  He is a wanderer like Cain.

Of course, Father Callahan's story is not complete in Salem's Lot.  The novel and the character return in The Dark Tower.  In fact, The Dark Tower serves in part as the story of Father Callahan's redemption.

I like it that King's vampire are bad. . . very very bad!  And who is it that has true faith?  A child.

7 comments:

  1. Not bad, I tend toward scholastic Thomism myself, although for the record I get what King says about "real" faith.

    So, can we expect a Wind Through The Keyhole Journal anytime soon?

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. . . no wind through the keyhold coming up. When I read DT again, it will entire series, cover to cover in order. . . but I'm probably headed for The Shining or Buick 8 next. Want to cast a vote. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, now that's an undertaking. I'll tell you I don't know whether to say congrats or call you just plain foolhardy, no offense meant, you know what I mean.

    That's something even I've never dared, go figure.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's why I'm putting it off.
    And, big secret. . . dark tower isn't really my favorite stuff. it has moments, but I don't really "get" fantasy genre. Seems like there's a lot of walking around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's sort of funny. For me, no matter how much King might say the Tower books are his best work, they all sound a bit minor key to my ear, with none of the epic quality to be found in, say, It.

    In fact, just to see if I was on to something I tried an experiment, I read a passage from the Wastelands and then one from 11/22/63.

    The result was 11/22/63 sounded more Tolkieneqsue than the Dark Tower story.

    What this says to me is that while he might call the Tower series among the best he's ever written, I think it's safe to say Knig's real heart lies in stories like The Shining, Stand By Me and Salem's Lot. Those stories are among his most atuobiographical in many ways and it's clear he has affection for them.

    More I would argue, than for the Tower.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this book the other day and snatched it up, I had never heard of it.
    I absolutely loved it, I will admit that it creeped me out....had to take breaks from it few times to ease my mind, for example today I stopped and decided to bake some bread.

    Scary things and I don't really go hand in hand, you will not catch me watching a horror movie, and I find at reading scary books makes the scary even more real! But I do love these types of books....and the writing didn't hurt matters at all!

    All in all I'm very happy I came across the book....I wonder though, are there other books that might have father Callahan in them, I felt that his story ended so badly!?

    Thora

    ReplyDelete