Quigley Review Of Audio WTTKH




Hey,  I loved Kevin Quigley's review of the audio edition of The Wind Through The Keyhole at fearnet (HERE)   It is titled, “Listening to the Wind: Stephen King, the Dark Tower, and 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' on Audio.”


Quigley offers a teriffic “history” of the Gunslinger as a book – an audio book in particular.  He also reviews King as a reader,  and in particular his reading of the Dark Tower novels.   I really enjoyed this portion.  Those of you complaining that King should have given the floor to professionals who have previously recorded the Dark Tower audio books, would do well to note that Stephen King is the first true audio reader of The Dark Tower.

Quigley gives us one big helpful tip: There is a preview, only available on the audio edition of WTTKH, of Doctor Sleep.  SWEET! Quigley writes, “While there's no word on whether King will read the entire novel on audio, his take here is spooky and unsettling. If this excerpt is any judge, Doctor Sleep is going to be one scary book.”

The full article is here at fearnet.com.

5 comments:

  1. Not darn bad. Quigly is right about the emotional element in the stories.

    My favorite from Drawing was his prtrayal of Henry and Eddie, and their interactions Balazar, Andolini and the hit men. Hes able to capture a gonzo sense of humor with these characters (I kept laughing my head off during it all) and in these passages he did something I wouldn't have thought possible, King captures the sound of a Martin Scorsese film. No mean feat.

    As for King narrating the Wasteland? DAMN!!!!!
    Why doesn't somebody tell me these things! If anyone knows anything about where I can get my hands on a copy the walls have willing ears.

    I haven't listened to the audio book yet though I sure will try to get my hands on a copy after hearing this.

    My only hope is the soundtrack features Ain't No Grave by Johnny Cash. Why Johnny Cash? As an eminent sage and junkie once observed, "Johnny Cash IS everything."

    Except for the Beatles...Sorry.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to the "Doctor Sleep" chapter. It's great; might even please Chris!

    As for the people complaining about King as a narrator: their opinions are so far removed from my own -- I love King as a narrator! -- as to be utterly worthless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think King is the best narrator for a Stephen King book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll admit, ever since buying a copy of the Needful Things Audiobook, it's always King's voice I hear narrating whichever of his books I'm reading in my head, although the characters have their own voices for the most part.

    And Roland still has Clint's voice in my mind.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wind Through the Keyhole is a story told by a young Roland Deschain, of Gilead. One read to him by his Mother when he was but a child. Here, it is a story, within a story told by a much older Roland about the time his Father sent him to Debaria to find and deal with a murderous skin-man, a shape-shifter of sorts. That would make The Wind Through the Keyhole a story within a story within a tale which sai King has been weaving for more than 30 years. That, in itself makes this a remarkable work.

    ReplyDelete