Garris "It's Like We're Best Friends"



Mick Garris discussed his friendship with Stephen King in an interview with TG Daily.

About King, Garris said:
"We have very similar backgrounds. We both came out of working class backgrounds, him on the East, me on the West. We had a lot of the same cultural references growing up, broken homes that led us to become readers and watchers. We just really get along. Even though there will be years going by where we don't see one another, but when we do, it's like we're best friends again."
Though I'm not a "fan" of the Garris films, I enjoy them.  I respect the fact that he is faithful to King's story, and also respect the fact that King likes what Garris does with his work.

It is interesting that the article mentions only the mini-series Garris did that were based on King's work -- not Sleepwalkers.  I wonder why. . .

David Konow notes  this about Garris' upcoming film, Invasion:
 If Invasion is indeed a look back at classic sci—fi of yesteryear, it would indeed be very cool. Both Garris and King grew up with sci-fi and horror back in the early glory days of both genres, and bringing it together with the modern retro sensibilities of Mad Men could be very interesting indeed.

The full article is HERE.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the words "Mad Men" and "Mick Garris" being mentioned in the same article. One of my worst nightmares -- not literally, okay; just roll with it -- involves Garris somehow taking control of that show.

    I wish him well with "Invasion." I'd love for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. has Garris done any films you like? Or mini-series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just happy to know Garris is a fan of the original 60s version of the Outer Limits. I have both complete seasons on dvds. To here King's take on Limits read pages 241 - 244 of the 2010 reissue of Danse Macabre, he calls it a think one of the finest shows of it's kind on television.

    And that's where I can only repeat what I've said before, Garris and King come from a fundamentally different background of entertainment from today, and I guess in a sense so do I. Maybe that's why Garris's King work never bothered me.

    In many ways, you could argue it's proof of both writer and filmmaker being of the less is more school of horror.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory, I'm a big fan of the idea of a '60s-set alien invasion movie, so I definitely hope this turns out well.

      Delete