All I Need To Know I Learned From THE SHINING



The Sixth Wall (Koldcast) has a great article titled, "All I need to know I learned from Steven King's The Shining."  Okay, need I even point out that they misspelled his name in the title?  That aside. . . the article (HERE) is fun.

Marti Resteghini writes, “What makes Stephen King such a great writer is how he takes real environments, feelings and events and distorts them so as to create situations eerily familiar and strikingly horrific.”  That’s so true!  And, it’s also why we are so excited at just the idea of King’s current writing project, Joyland.  Imagine a theme park – a fun happy place, right?  Until Mr. King runs it through that funhouse mirror he calls a word processor.

Here are the article headings.
1. Listen to the little voice inside you.
2. Take your job seriously.
3. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
4. Marriage is hard. Give each other some room.
5. Children are wise.
6. Just when you’re ready to quit, hang on a little longer.
7. There are always two sides to every story.
8. Always keep the lines of communication open.
9. Focus.
10. There IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. 
The full article is at: Koldcast The Sixth Wall

1 comment:

  1. Not bad. I'm willing to agree the novel does teach those lessons, even if I think the article writer thoroughly twisted them out of proportion and seems to have forgotten the whole point of the novel (which is very similar to Lord of the Rings).

    Nonetheless, those lessons remin true, and I think are part of what makes The Shining work.

    It's also one reason why I have no real confidence in the upcoming Dr. Sleep. I think the point of the The Shining is the Danny ha learned a valuable life lesson and has become the better for it. Adding a sequel to that just cheapens whatever achievements the character has made.

    I'll admit there is one way Danny could have been shoe horned into Dr. Sleep as a walk on cameo. Danny could be like a teacher the main character had in college who recognized he had the same abilities as himself and acts as the Halloran of the book, however briefly.

    In this scenario, Danny and Dr. Sleep are different characters. Still, that's just me.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete