Scott Snyder: SK ‘One of the best writers of all time’?

Cover art for “American Vampire” No. 22 (DC Comics)


The LA Times had an interesting interview in September with Scott Snyder of American Vampire.  Snyder talks about working with Stephen King, calling him (as the article's title suggest) one of the best writers of all time.

Snyder says he first got hooked on King at camp when the counselor would read to them from Eyes of the Dragon.  He says it was magic listening to the novel unfold. 

How did Snyder end up working with King?  Here's a bit of that story:

 Working with him is a joy. How that came out was really weird. He read some of my stories and wrote a blurb for my short story collection after he had read them. I was just incredibly honored and thrilled. And then when I got “American Vampire” through at Vertigo and it was greenlit, they basically asked me if I would be willing to ask Steve King to do a blurb. After sending him the outline, he said, “Well, I’ll do you one better. I’d love to write an issue sometime, because I really love that character Skinner.” And I was like, “Well, if I tell them you want to write an issue they’re going to want you writing.” He was like, “Nah. They probably won’t because I never wrote a comic, and I don’t know if I’m any good. I don’t think they’ll really want me to do it.” I was like, “They’ll definitely want you to write that comic. I promise.” So, I called them on like a Friday and left a message: “I think Steve’s going to want to say he’s willing to write an issue.” Monday morning it was a call from the whole office: “Did you say Stephen King said he would be willing to write a whole issue of ‘American Vampire?’” . . . MORE HERE


Reading the interview makes me much more interested in American Vampire. 

2 comments:

  1. The issues of "American Vampire" that King worked on were good, and the series has only gotten better afterward.

    Snyder is also currently writing the "New 52" versions of "Batman" and "Swamp Thing" for DC. Can't vouch for "Swamp Thing," but his "Batman" has been terrific so far.

    He's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the question posed by the title of this post: yes, yes he is.

    ReplyDelete