Lisbon Falls And Stephen King


One of the really neat things about 11/22/63 is that it connects real places with fictional characters and places.  One of the very real places is a spot from Stephen King's past -- Lisbon Falls.


The King connection:

Lisbon Falls Maine ME 1950s view of the High School.

According to George Beahm's fantastic book, "Stephen King Country", King commuted to Lisbon High from Durham.  Because the town was not big enough to afford, or require, a full blown school bus to transport the four students to Lisbon High, the town contracted with Mike's Taxi to transport the kids.

Now get this. . . the taxi was a converted hearse!  And one of the kids riding with King was the girl who would later serve as the model for Carrie White.  YIKES!  Pretty cool, when you think about it.  Stephen King rides in a hearse with Carrie White, eh!

Worumbo Mill

Worumbo Mill
The Worumbo Mill was constructed in 1920.  In the novel, the local mill is now an abandoned shoe factory.  The mill is the site of the time portal (I think).

Here is the town website.

4 comments:

  1. I was there today briefly. The Kitty Korner store pictured is out of business. Kennebec
    Fruit Co aka the Moxie Store, closed for
    Mem. Day I think. The mill indeed is long closed and "for sale".

    Life can change on a dime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended Lisbon High School for my freshman year in 1961-1962 and I still have my yearbook but I was unable to determine if Stephen King attended that year. I was born in April of 1947 so we were born in the same year but I believe he was born in September. My father retired from the Air Force in 1962 and we settled in North Carolina. I lived in Wilmington, NC for several years and visit there frequently. I have been a fan of Mr. King's novels since Salem's Lot. I am very curious about whether or not we attended LFHS at the same time even though I don't remember anyone by that name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use services of real estate agents grand rapids mi. Real Estate agents grand rapids mi has personal and professional approach in meeting the real estate requirements.

    Real Estate Agency
    Houses For Sale In Lisbon
    Property For Sale Lisbon

    ReplyDelete