Strange Fan?

My wife and I were watching the Stephen King Big Read event yesterday on the internet. She said, "Too bad he's not coming to Calfironia."

That perplexed me, "Why?"

She stared as if I had lost my mind. "Because then you could meet him."

"But, I don't feel any need to meet him."

She found this very strange. How could I collect King's books, magazine articles, books about King and more, but not be interested in actually seeing King live, or meeting him. I never thought of that as strange. But as I look around, I noitce that most fans do want to at lesat meet King. Charlie Fried's notebook was full of his notes about a trip to see King, and a picture of him with King.

So, I found myself asking: Why isn't that something that would interest me? a few answers come to mind:

1. I don't feel I have anything to offer him -- and what he has to offer me is what he puts in print. Shaking his hand would only keep that hand off the keyboard for another moment! Why slow the progression of Wind through the Keyhole any longer? (hehe)

2. I don't want to be just another guy standing in line going, "Hey man, I really liked the Stand."

So what do ya'all think? what am I missing here?

2 comments:

  1. That's just a simple and sane way to live one's passion. You know how King feels about die-hard fans anyway : he fears they'd easily turn into Annie Wilkes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ulgh -- Annie Wilkes! You're right.

    ReplyDelete