Hunting the Mist Unabridged

I was asked the other day about the Mist unabridged, read by Frank Muller. I too have wanted a copy of this for some time. In High School I wrote the publisher, but got no response. Last night I emailed them and got this response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. I am sorry; Recorded Books no longer has the unabridged recording rights for the title "The Mist" narrated from Frank Muller."

What does that mean? I don't know. Except that they are no longer a source for finding that recording. Best bet from here is to ask at Libraries. Put that search up there with a hunt for The Stand -- not impossible, but still a headache.

I msut say that the 3D production, that's being called an "unabridged" recording does not compare to the power of King's writing.

2 comments:

  1. Dave:RE: Hunting the Mist UnabridgedMarch 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    Thanks for the follow up on my hunt for the real unabridged version of The Mist read by Frank Muller. I too got the same responce from Recorded Books Inc emailed to me, so i called them today and they said I should contact Simon&Schuster (which i did) because they now have the rights to the 3D version and may know who origanly recorded it in 1985. I also emailed stephenking.com with the same question, haven't heard back from either yet. I think possibly Penguin Highbridge might have done it because they did Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption read by Frank Muller for Recorded Books Inc as well (saw a copy on Ebay). I'll post any updates I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's a lot of excitement over at Viking to put out a bunch of King titles. I guess they realized how much money they were losing by not having these titles on the market. I always thought it was a insane, just from a business point of view, that they didn't make these titles available.

    My point is just that if it is indeed Viking that has the copyright, then there is some hope. However, sadly, I'm afraid that the 3D version of the Mist is what they're going to push.

    ReplyDelete