McKeen on King

I really enjoyed Sid McKeen 's article on Stephen King's appearance at Port Charlotte's Big Read event. McKeen was one of the lottery winners (the lottery to get in, not that other lottery thing).
.
I enjoyed this insight, and he made me laugh. . .
.
Stephen King and I have a lot in common.
.
Cut it out, man, I’m serious. He was born in Maine, and so was I. He’s been a writer all his life, and so have I. He divides his time between Maine and Florida, and so do I. He’s always been a huge fan of the Red Sox, and so have I. He has a reputation for being a little squirrelly, and so have I. He put out a mimeographed newspaper at the age of 12 and sold copies for a nickel apiece, and so did I.
.
He’s a multi-millionaire and … Well, 6 out of 7 ain’t bad.
.
McKeen also share thsi interesting tid-bit:
. . .something that happened in my own family back in the ’70s. My late Uncle Ray was a realtor on the Maine coast, and one day a man with a wife and baby showed up in a banged-up VW bus and asked to be shown a property for sale. He said he was a writer and that he was expecting a chunk of money as an advance on a new book. My uncle, sizing up the prospect as a born-loser hippie, spent only a few minutes showing him the place. “My name is Stephen King,” the man had told him. The book was “Carrie”, his first. Didn’t mean a thing. Ray never lived it down.
.
Check out his thoughts and comments on King's visit at: http://www.telegram.com/article/20100328/COLUMN19/3280365/1020/rss01&source=rssom

No comments:

Post a Comment