S.K. Re-Envisioned: The Shining


More from Laz Marquez and his project to "re-envision" Stephen King posters. This one is based on Stanly Kubrick's version of The Shining. Strange thing, I like the poster more than the movie! Notice, just looking at the King prints and the Hitchcock re-envisioned how he likes to use yellows and reds a lot. To me, it gives things a 70's feeling -- which works well since both Carrie and The Shining were products of the 70's. (Yes, I do know Kubrick's film came out in 1980).
.
He notes on his website, "This was hands down the toughest poster I've had to approach thus far. After going back and watching the Stanley Kubrick film last week, I had almost too much to work off of. The film has such a wealth of iconic scenes and imagery, but this is also a poster/film that has had so much attention in the design realm. This made it tough to choose imagery to work with that was not too cliche or typical. No matter what, I knew I'd end up with something that was easily recognizable and like where I ended up. I wanted to represent the scenario of the fim, include some iconic design cues (that gorgeous carpet pattern) and initial threat to create mood (Jack's silo peeking/looming from the door). This took a lot of drafts and a lot of concept sketches to get here & hopefully you all enjoy!"
.
Be sure to check out the website at, http://lazmarquez.squarespace.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment