Summer With Stephen King


My wife knows that the coming heat only means one thing: I am about to rev my Stephen King obsession into high gear. Now during the Fall, Winter, Spring I could almost care less. I am focused on work and enjoy reading all kinds of other writers (Ken Follett and Charles Dickens are good reads for me).
.
Each Summer I focus on another aspect of collecting Stephen King. The first Summer I began buying first editions. This took a couple years! I still don’t have true firsts for anything before The Dead Zone, and only a second edition Dark Tower 1. But – I do have hardback copies of all the novels. Then I spent a summer collecting books about Stephen King. This was more massive than I thought it would be! (Seems like one Summer all I did was have a book case built and organize the collection). Then this Summer I began buying movies. But, I’m slacking off on that because I’m more interested in reading Cell, Christine and The Road to the Dark Tower.
.
So why do I focus on King in the Summer? Because one hot summer as a teen I began reading The Stand. I spent blazing hot days under a fan as I turned page after page. It was truly the first book I read cover to cover. I thought one night as I read, "wow! I’ve read 100 pages today!" A true accomplishment, since my parents thought I was probably illiterate.
.
Ever since that long summer (1990, I think) I have found myself going back to Stephen King as the heat turns up. My wife thinks it’s really funny. "You read Charles Dickens and the Bible all year, and then Stephen King all summer. Go figure." Oh well. She doesn’t have to understand – just let me buy books. (First editions, please)
.
I got my daughter started reading Eyes of the Dragon, but she doesn’t seem too hooked yet. I wish it were on audio.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome--I totally associate reading King with the summer as well, and your experience reading THE STAND sounds almost exactly like mine!

    ReplyDelete