Is Naughty Bear Really CARRIE ?



A few months ago my insane little sister -- Miss Conservative -- introduced me to a an absolutely crazy (and very bad) game called, "Naughty Bear."  It's like GTA with bears. . . or something like that.   "It's not that bad," she said, "it's just Teddy bears."

Truth be told, the game is hilarious.  I couldn't stop laughing.

And, since I am reading The Drawing of the Three, I found myself thinking: Eddie Dean would like this game.

Naughty bear is an angry little bear because he is rejected by the other smurfs --I mean bears.  Naughty bear shows up at  the party and things get messy.  The player (Naughty Bear) gets right down to business, chopping up his fellow bears -- stabbing -- axing -- burning -- and so on.  It's really crazy.

After leaving my sisters house, I promptly forgot about the game.  Until I read Eric Thornton's review at
www.rantgaming.com.  Thornton makes a connection to Carrie that I think is quite insightful.  Could that be why the game is so much fun?  Because we identify with that little bear the same way we identify with Carrie White?

Thornton writes:
Naughty Bear follows the anthropomorphic escapades of an isolated teddy bear whose behavior isn’t so much naughty as viciously homicidal, albeit in a quasi-understandable, Stephen King’s Carrie kind of way that appeals to the pariah in all of us, or at least it would, had the game been competently designed.



Yeah, Thornton isn't thrilled with the game.  Nor was I deeply  hooked. Come on, it's not like this  is Civ.V !  But it was strangely fun, in a Carrie White sort of way.  Makes we wonder if there will be a Carrie video game. I would probably hate it.

So,  what Stephen King books would make good  video games?

  • Strategy: A Civ version of The Stand would rock! 
  • Action: The Runningman would make a fun set up for a game.  Obviously, your goal  should not be to fly a plane into  a building. . .
  • Fantasy: The Eyes of the Dragon.  King created an entire world it would be fun to roam.
  • Horror: Cell.  You know killing zombies is fun. 
Discordia looks like a lot of fun -- a Dark Tower game. I haven't had time to invest in it.

2 comments:

  1. Here's the following according to wikipedia:

    An interactive fiction computer game based on the novella (The Mist) was released by Mindscape in 1985.

    The computer game The Dark Half, based on the novel, was designed by Symtus and published by Capstone in 1992. Another game titled The Dark Half: Endsville was announced at E3 in 1997, but the game was apparently not released.

    Below are the wiki links for Mist and Half, respetive. Be sure to check out the moby games link for more info on the Dark Half game. You can't make this stuff up.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Half

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I just started digging around for the same info. Thanks, you found some notes I had missed.

    http://talkstephenking.blogspot.com/2012/11/stephen-king-video-games.html

    ReplyDelete