National Read A Book Day



September 6 is national read a book day.  I'm not sure if you have to read the whole book on September 6 or if part of it counts.  If whole book is counted, then I'm definitely leaning toward The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Of Mice And Men.

I was interested reading this list of 50 stars favorite books.  For one thing, I like a lot of those books, too!  But also, I had to note that no one had a King title on their lists.  It makes me wonder how connected to mainstream the stars really are.  Or. . . could it be that they like him in secret, but when asked their favorite book, they feel obligated to proclaim their love for Twain and Poe and Dickens.  Hey, wait. . . Dickens wasn't on the list, either!  Go figure.  I mean, Moby Dick. . . seriously Chevy Chase?  We know Chevy is probably reading Creepshow late at night, and admitting the guilty pleasure to no one.

King's work might not be on the list, but his favorite book is.

Here's a sampling of the stars favorites.  I'm choosing to post the ones that I also like the same book!  That way, if I ever meet one of these people, I will have something to talk about.  I haven't read Obama's selection. . . but it is cool to note the presidents favorite book.  If he comes over for dinner, I'll be reading it real quick! 

Jeff Foxworthy, The Bible
Stephen King, Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Natalie Portman, The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
Nicole Kidman, The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
Rue McClanahan, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Alec Baldwin, To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Lavar Burton, Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
Billy Joel, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain
Bette Midler, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Chevy Chase, Moby Dick Herman Melville
Jerry Lewis, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Rosie O’Donnell, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
Barack Obama, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Sen. John McCain, For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

BOOKS I LOVE:

I'm listing here fiction books I think are absolutely wonderful.  No attempt to rank them, though I do consider Pillars of the Earth my favorite non-King book.  I piles of books I love that include biography, apologetics, commentary and theology.
  • The Stand, Stephen King
  • Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett
  • Cold Sassy Tree, Olive Ann Burns
  • The Pilgrims Progress, Bunyan
  • 1984, George Orwell
  • Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
  • Lucifer's Hammer, Larry Niven
  • Sherlock Holmes, The Hound Of The Baskervilles, Arthur Conan Doyle
  • This Present Darkness, Frank Peretti
  • Of Mice And Men, Steinbeck
  • The Grapes Of Wrath, Steinbeck
  • Swan Song, Robert Mccammon
  • The Hunt For Red October, Tom Clancy
  • The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury
  • The Illustrated Man, Ray Bradbury
  • Night Of The Moonbow, Thomas Tyron
  • The Pelican Brief, John Grisham
How about this list, also. . .
I'm not a fan of: Christian Amish novles, Monk novels, the Twilight series, Gone With the Wind, Left Behind series, The Beast Within.

Please post yoru favortie books -- King or non-King.  And if you like, include a second list of books you don't like.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a big enough Stephen King fan that a list of my favorite books would have almost all of his books on it somewhere. So here are some of my favorites not by King:

    Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry; also, amny other McMurtry novels such as Leaving Cheyenne, The Last Picture Show, Terms of Endearment, Cadillac Jack, etc.)
    Dune (Frank Herbert; also the sequels Dune Messiah and Children of Dune; the latter sequels not so much)
    Wicked (Gregory Maguire)
    The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
    The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury)
    Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
    Dandelion Wine (Ray Bradbury)
    Rendezvous With Rama (Arthur C. Clarke)
    Childhood's End (Arthur C. Clarke)
    The Prince of Tides (Pat Conroy)
    The Lords of Discipline (Pat Conroy)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
    The Demolished Man (Alfred Bester)
    Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison)
    The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
    A Prayer For Owen Meaney (John Irving)
    The World According to Garp (John Irving)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert H. Heinlein)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick)
    Contact (Carl Sagan)

    I haven't read a lot of those in years, so it's possible I'd like them less -- or more -- now.

    Things I will not read: anything written by William Faulkner. Eff that guy. Also, never will I read one of those "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" type knockoffs. Eff those guys, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read John Irving.

    I too like almost everything Bradbury.

    There was a book (Book of Leaves ?) I tried to read a few years ago. It was insane! Interesting idea, about a house bigger on the inside than the outside. But I had trouble tracking with it.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. King being number one others I have really loved are:

    Fav. King is IT

    The Catcher in the Rye
    The Pigman
    The Lottery Rose
    Bridge to Tarbitha
    Slaughterhouse Five
    Fahrenheit 451
    Lost Horizon by james Hilton
    The Hellbound Heart
    Billy by Whitley Strieber
    Holes
    Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez
    The Beloved by J.F. Gonzalez
    Shelter by Maynard & Sims
    The Client by John Grishem
    The Awakening by Kate Chopin
    The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

    I could go on and on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorites: From King, I'd say Pet Sematary and his short story collection Everything's Eventual. Others include...

    No Great Mischief by Alistair Macleod
    Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
    Holmes on the Range by Steven Hockensmith
    The Samurai by Shusaku Endo
    East of Eden by Steinbeck
    Moby Dick by Melville
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
    The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates
    Drood by Dan Simmons.

    And the list could go on, of course.

    Least favorites...Twilight, of course :-p And Chocolat by Joanne Harris. Loved the movie, hated the book. One last least favorite is The Red Pony by Steinbeck. Maybe because I read it when I was too young and was upset by the ending, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favorites by King: The Green Mile, Bag Of Bones, Cujo, Pet Sematary, Hearts In Atlantis

    Favorites:

    Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    Tell No One by Harlan Coben
    Hold Tight by Harlan Coben
    Along Came A Spider by James Patterson
    Kiss The Girls by James Patterson
    Chanukah Guilt by Ilene Schneider
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    When The Wind Blows by John Saul
    Dark Mountain by Richard Laymon
    Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

    ...and the list keeps going on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete