DVD File: review of Children Of The Corn

92 Minutes / 1984 / Rated R / Release Date: September 6, 2011

I really enjoyed DVD File's review of Children of the Corn.  Why?  Because it is heart felt!  There is not attempt here to trash the film; nor is this review trying to convince us it was really a pearl in the rough and we all just missed the glory.  There is an honest assessment of what works, what doesn't -- and why we kinda like it anyway.

Children of the Corn is not a favorite of mine.  But wait. . . give it a chance, DVD File argues.  The movie might have a few things going for it.  Here's a list of pro's I spotted int he review:

  • It remains one of the most faithful in terms of capturing the creepy essence of King’s original work.  "When I finally saw the film version, it was amazing how much it resembled my own ideas of the characters and settings."  He says later, "the film is well cast and does an admirable job of staying true to the essence of King’s original short story — albeit not a wholly faithful adaptation."
  • It contains themes that would reappear throughout King's work.  "Children of the Corn is one of the first stories to explore recurring ideas and themes that the author would continue to harvest: cult-like religious obsession, the havoc wrought from a mob mentality, and the disturbing idea of children murdering their own parents."
  • The film does have it's scary moments.  "There’s still some genuine shocks and unnerving bits — like that initial shot of Isaac glaring at his “children” from outside a diner window as they begin systematically murdering all the adults inside — that are just as chilling as anything Hitchcock or Polanski devised."

    So what doesn't work?  We can all say it together: Special effects! 
The review also examines the movies look and audio.

5 comments:

  1. "Just as chilling as anything Hitchcock or Polanski devised"?!?

    Cut that crap out, DVD File. Polanski isn't even in Hitchcock's league, to say nothing of "Children of the Corn"!

    That said, I am on record as being an admirer of the Children of the Corn movies. And no, I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Corn movies, I don't know way I just do, they are my kind of corny weird and spooky entertainment that I like and even though they stray from the subject of King's original story big time I still like them, I do Have to say that the review in saying the original movie was faithful to the chracters is wrong, both leads where fighting the whole time in the original story, they basically hated each other and also the whole concept of the ending was majorly different both the chracters could kill each other if they wanted to. Although I love the orginal movie the more faithful one to the story concept would be the re-make that aired on the Syfy channel even though I did not like it, it still held the basic story where as the orignal changed major key plots. But like I said I love them movies, I own then all and watch them often from reason I can't explain,

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Horror Fiction Reviews: You should check out my review of the new "Children of the Corn" movie:

    http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-of-children-of-corn-genesis.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. great point. i love this film, and watch it many times while every time give me different feeling.

    ReplyDelete