Under The Dome Episode One -- Summer Just Got A Lot Better


I liked the first episode of Under The Dome a lot.  It may be that with the book itself I enjoyed themes and big picture more than the details -- so it doesn't bother me a bit when new subplots arise.

The story moves quickly while delivering characters that are believable.  Often mini-series feel closed in, like soap operas.  But things happen quickly, moving scene to scene -- so we don't get the feeling they're purposely dragging this out.  Also, the special effects don't seem cheap; I believed a Dome came from the sky!  And that is the direction it came from -- sky down.

Those of you who didn't like it or were disappointed, I don't know what you were expecting.  Did you read the book?  The first episode did much more than just set things up for more to come -- A GIANT DOME CAME DOWN OUT OF THE SKY!  That was great TV!  Just because you knew it was going to happen didn't mean it wasn't cool when it did.  We were introduced to a killer, a used car dealer who wants to run the world, a compromised sheriff and our main character seeming to bury a body.  Did I mention a cow got cut in half?  (yes, easily entertained)

I don't even have commercial TV -- because I think it's pretty lame.  But this was good stuff.

My notes:

1. I like this bit of dialogue:
"What is this thing?  Do you think the government  built it?"
"Nope."
"Why not?"
"Because it works."

2. The cow cut in half. . . not quite ground beef.

3. The kids think the name Barbie is funny.  Explaining doesn't help.

4. The story has enough characters and scenes to keep things moving.  My biggest fear was that this would be like the Tommyknockers -- big story which ends up feeling a little closed in.

5. Junior is once again a character the audience an both empathize with and hate.  I think we feel for him and his strained relationship with his dad -- but cringe at his very naughty deeds.  His desire for his dads affection is communicated well but not blatant.

6. NICE COMMERCIAL FOR DOCTOR SLEEP!

7. The night shot on the town is great!  The dome lit up is pretty awesome.

8. Body count: So, that's not really possible.  But, here's a half a try:
Woman in plane.  Buried guy.  Family in mini van.  Cow.  Birds.  Woman with forearm cut off.  Driver of grovery truck.  . . . stopped keeping track.

8 comments:

  1. In all the back and forth I kind of forgot about the Dome effects.

    While I still hold that visuals are secondary to story, Yes, that damn well was a good effect. I can't believe I overlooked that, then again, see visuals quote above.

    They do seem to be going with the anti-government angle though, oh well, maybe we've sort of come full circle and are ready to once more question our leaders, that's fine (commonsensical in some ways even, as long as things don't get too preachy and/or higher than thou.

    I admit I'm surprised but I like the way they go with the Dale character, there's lot's more room for nuance and drama.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spoken to people who are watching and who haven't read the book and they loved the first episode. Such a good sign!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to watch it with my parents tomorrow night -- if they like it, then I feel sure it'll continue to be a hit. If they don't like it, I figure it's in trouble.

      Delete
  3. A little anti-government is okay right now with the NSA peeking in, reporters being treated like criminals and the IRS targeting political foes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little anti-government has been okay for, like, the last five or six decades.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Bryant Burnette -- It's a lot better than Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved it! I thought I'd read the book, but it was either long ago and I've forgotten the plot, or I didn't read it. Everything felt new and fresh. I agree about the quote why it's not a government plot! And the cow ... Oh my! I read that it was going to happen and was surprised by how well they pulled it off. My husband hadn't read about it and was completely surprised. We can hardly wait to watch the next episode.

    ReplyDelete