Four Past Midnight Journal #1




Midnight Journal, part 1

I love the three stories from Four Past Midnight that I've read.  The one I have not finished is The Library Policeman, and I started that the other night.  I loved the Langoliers! -- until I saw the miniseries.  What was tight, intense and one great story became absolutely terrible on screen.  It was more  than bad special effects, it was long and drawn out.

As a teen, when I read the first three stories, the title "Four Past Midnight" intrigued me.  What was four past midnight?  Was that four int he morning?  I read the stories, expecting some late night tale of terror.  At some point I realized, with grim disillusion that "Four Past Midnight" was nothing more than a title.  It might as well have been named "Blades of Grass."

For me, the Langoliers was harmed by the television adaption.  It was so bad, it makes me not want to return to the novel -- which I loved.  The opposite is true of Secret Window, Secret Garden.  The movie made the book better, improving on King's ideas and plot and making me more willing to return to the source material.  Though. . . this story also confused me.  I bought it on audio tape and was "sick" the next day.  I stayed home, ate crackers and listened all day to this story, wondering when they would discover a secret garden.

The Sun Dog left  me absolutely breathless.  I loved it.  I later read revers from people who did not like the novel, complaining it was overly edited.  I'm glad I only read all that later, because I was oblivious!  It thought it was creepy and belonged with the Twilight Zone.

In fact, so far all of these stories would have made great Twilight Zone episodes.  That's what the Langoliers should have been --and hour long TZ!  That season when they tried the hour format for Twilight Zone totally bombed!  They stories just didn't work.  And, Langoliers was just too long.  If only. . . Mr. Serling had written the script for an hour long episode of Twilight Zone based on King's story.

The Library Policeman



I started reading The Library Policeman the other night.  I went out running and decided it was time to jump into this short novel --as I enjoyed all the others from Four Past Midnight.  I'm not sure where King is going with this, so he's got my attention.

I've started this one several times, but quit.  I can never remember why I quit, until I start reading again.  This time I'm listening thanks to audible.  And, a good story makes running hurt less.  That's totally not true, but I tell myself that so I won't dread it so much.

It takes a while to get this story off the ground.  What seems like pretty straight forward stuff takes forever to just get moving.

I feels like I know what the early turns in this book are going to be.  Sam writes a speech.  The speech is bad.
He needs a book from the library.  He borrows a book.  He meets a strange Librarian.  He has a sense after seeing the Library Policeman display that he's been here before, as a child.  
And that's where I finally got home from my run.  So I'm pretty sure he'll fail to return the book, and some form of hell will be reigned upon him in retribution for his moral failure.  If it were another author, I'd quit because the story moves so slow.  But I do want to know WHO the Library Policeman is.  What will happen to Sam?  The strength of the other stories in this book make me keep coming back to this one.  Also Stephen King doesn't let down very often, so it's worth sticking with a novel  even when the magic isn't there at first.  I just can't let this be another Talisman!


It is especially cool that this is dedicated to the staff and patrons of the Pasadena Library.  I lived in Pasadena as a teenager and have spent a lot of time at that library.  Does anyone know why the dedication?

5 comments:

  1. I think that Four Past Midnight is the weakest of his novella collections. Nothing in it comes close to rivaling any of the novellas in Different Seasons and Full Dark, No Stars is an underrated masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full Dark No Stars will get more attention when it makes it to the big screen. I agree it is the weakest of the three novella collections. And The Mist stands alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Four past midnight is better in general than Full dark, no stars.

    The library policeman is weird but i like the story. I think the villain could be great in a "bigger" novel from SK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure you *don't* want to find out who the Library Policeman is and what happens to Sam! It's one of the darkest things King has written to me and it definitely stays with you for a while.

    I still like the story a lot, though, along with Secret Window, Secret Garden (freaking love the movie of that one, too) and The Langoliers. Agree that the miniseries is extremely hokey but it's actually a pretty good adaptation when you look at it that way. The Sun Dog is okay I guess. I think it's one that I don't like all that much because I don't really "get it." Read it a few times now and I'm still not scared of a dog in a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the freaky idea that every picture brings the dog closer. . . I find that quite scary. What is moving into my world? What's headed by way? King could have made it a turtle, but it's movement with each picture would make it intriguing.

    ReplyDelete