Man Of Steel rocks. . . then dries up



I took my daughters -- and wife -- to see Man of Steel yesterday.  We loved it! -- mostly. 

Krypton is great!  In fact, I felt like I'd taken a step inside the Star Wars universe.  The references to Christ and parallels are numerous -- and it seems they are there on purpose. 

One big  complaint we all had, it gets kinda boring watching endless fight scenes where you know the outcome.  Typical Superman set up is that he comes to earth, deals with lots of minor problems and criminals -- and you cheer him on all the way -- then in second half of the movie he deals with one final problem.  In Man of Steel, we didn't get all those little extra scenes where Superman confronts petty criminals and fights for truth, justice and the American way.  Instead we have a long (LONG) fight scene with General Zod. 

I did not catch any Stephen King references.  -- but, not to be hindered. . . I whispered to my wife that a young Clark Kent reminds of Carrie White with the right parents.  Superman is what Carrie could have been (well, Supergirl).  Instead of making him miserable about his powers, his parents fill Clark with a sense of purpose and mentor him through some pretty tough situations. 

Also, in the world of SK -- we did catch a big screen preview of Under the Dome.  I actually don't know if I've seen that preview before, but it was great!  Something about the big screen and surround sound made it really powerful when that dome came down and planes began smashing into it.  Good stuff!

The storyline is excellent.  I liked t he changes to the Lois/Clark romance and both of his fathers.  Keven Costner is a great Jonathan Kent.  This father  is a man of real conviction, willing to give up everything for what he believes is right. 

Superman's boyhood is told in flashback, which is a creative way of keeping the main story flowing.  I like Superman's joy when he first flies -- and the viewers are taken on that ride with him. 

I'm ready for the next episode in this series.  Hopefully, more story and less buildings getting knocked down!  The movie makers have proved they can tell a good story, build strong characters and move  the audience.  My hope is that next time they trust their story telling abilities a little more.

And, one last question. . . why isn't his red undies on over his tights?  Did he throw  them in with papa Kent's white's and turn them all pink?  Am I the only one sitting there wondering, "Dude, where's your underwear?"

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was okay. Nothing special. Definitely not the best superhero movie ever made, which is what a couple of advance reviews I read claimed it to be; I'll take the 1978 one in a heartbeat.

    But I liked a lot about it. Henry Cavill was great; Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner were great; I loved the music. A solid flick, but I can't shake the feeling that it ought to have been even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, 1978. . . you'll believe a man can fly. . . is still the best. Even that one, the last little bit where Superman has to fly around the world to bring back lois is a little nuts. But my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete