The Stand Remake: Body Language

Well, this is not exactly a handwriting analysis -- or a "body language" study. But let's read behind the lines of King's statements about the Stand remake.
.
Here's what I got. . .
.
1. They didn't have to get King's permission. He actually learned about it on the internet!
.
2. King suspects that people will like the mini-series better. I agree.
.
3. He doesn't think anyone can top the performance of Gary Sinise.
.
4. King liked the directing Mick Garris brought to the original mini-series.
.
5. King also thought would Rutger Hauer would do a great job as Flagg.
.
So here's the bottom line: King really thinks the mini-series hit the nail on the head. It is a faithful representation of his book, he liked the acting and directing and length. So why remake it? -- is the unspoken question.
.
I am very glad Woody Allen will not be directing it. The only Woody Allen film I liked is Radio Days. A Woody Allen Stephen King movie would be really messed up stupid.
.
Now here's a line I disagree with:
King wrote, "People who’ve seen Kubrick’s The Shining dislike the miniseries I wrote (and my amigo Mick Garris directed) even if they haven’t seen it." I've seen both, and I prefer King's adaptation. Kubrick's offering is good, but it's another story -- as King himself has said.
.
What could be good:
I'll stop harping on this someday. . . but not yet. Usually with a theatrical release the paperback edition of the book is re-released with a new cover depicting scenes or characters from the movie. And there is usually an audio release. Ah-ha! If that happened, it could be the best thing to come from the movie.
.
Now before people comment and say that you can get The Stand audio edition for free on the Internet (yes, I do delete those comments, because you are advocating something illegal), I want to simply say that I am hopeful for a LEGAL release. Too bad I have to clarify that, y'all. That some of you are downloading books illegally not only denies the artist their rightful due, it promotes sites that do naughty things to your computer.
.
Of course, The Stand has already been put on audio by Grover Gardner. But that was the abridged edition. I do not know that an unabridged reading of Revised Uncut The Stand has been done. I saw someone on eBay trying to sell the unabridged edition, recorded by a computer reading.
.
Who should read The Stand? All of the recent artist reading King's work have been great. But my favorite reader is Stephen King -- always. Now, if I'm listening to Olive Anne Burns Cold Sassy Tree, I don't know that King would be my first choice as a reader. But when reading his own work, he's awesome! My favorite was his reading of Needful things.

3 comments:

  1. You misunderstood King.

    1. King doesn't think Rutger Hauer did a great job as Flagg because Hauer has nothing to do with Flagg and The Stand. King WOULD LIKE him to play in new version of it.
    2. King doesn't want Woody Allen to direct it. It was a joke! :D Half of his article about new Stand is a joke :D

    You also made a mistake ;)
    Director of The Stand was Mick Garris, not Mark Garris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people love both "The Stand" miniseries and the one of "The Shining," but I don't much care for either one. They have none of the richness and subtlety that the novels have (a frequent problem with King adaptations, even when King himself is writing the screenplays!).

    Even worse, especially with "The Stand," the casting is mostly awful. Jamey Sheridan was laughable as Flagg, Molly Ringwald lifeless as Frannie, Matt Frewer nausea-inducing as Trashcan Man. Sure, some of the cast is really good, especially Sinise, but it's not what I'd consider accurate to suggest that nobody would be able to top him as a laconic hero-type. Jon Hamm could do it twice as well without even having to exert himself, just as one example.

    My hope for this new version of "The Stand" is that they (a) hire somebody who can stress the realism of the story over its more fantastical elements; (b) not try to cram the story into a single movie; and (c) not let Mick Garris anywhere near it. He seems like a nice guy, but he has yet to make a good movie, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1, you're right, it is Mick Garris. Yikes, I've had it wrong all this time. Geez... do you know how many posts I have to change to fix that! thanks.

    Thank you for the corrections...

    I did not think King wanted Woody Allen to direct the Stand.

    ReplyDelete