What Was The Best Stephen King Miniseries?



I love Stephen King miniseries -- sometimes.

So here are a few of my favorites, and a few of the real stinkers!

Favorites:
1. Salem's Lot (Original)  If you've seen it, then you know I don't have to make much of a case for this being the best.  I love it!  I love the 1970's era feel; the look of the vampires.  Even when it's quirky, it works for me.  And by the way, that house really is creepy lookin'!  

2. The Stand.  I love this miniseries -- minus Molly.  Sorry, but she wasn't Franny!  Yes, it's dated and feels very 90's.  But so what.  Every telling of The Stand gets stuck in the era it's released in.  Try reading the original version of The Stand, it's got 1970's all over it.  I'm hopeful the new movie (MOVIES!) might bring the Stand to life for a new generation.  Ebola anyone?

3. IT.  Okay, this wasn't genius stuff, but the story was good -- and Tim Curry was really good.  What's more, the miniseries will live with me forever because of what it did to me as a teen.  That story actually messed with my head!  Especially the first half.  The second half. . . yeah, that's best not discussed.
4. Storm of the Century.
5. Carrie.  Don't judge me, I liked it.  What I really liked was the end.  I know it was supposed to be a series -- but it never took off.  That's fine, because the story is great as a stand alone.  Maybe what I like is that it so surprised me.  I thought it would just follow the original Carrie plot, but this took some new turns that were very welcome.  
6. Bag of Bones.  
7. Tommyknockers.  This has some pretty good moments, okay?  I like it when the kid makes his brother disappear as a magic act and can't get him back.

Favorite Hatreds: 
1. Langoliers.
2. Desperation.
3. Golden Years

Haven't seen:
The Dead Zone, Rose Red.

Books that should be miniseries:
1. The Dark Tower.  I liked the movie, TV series, back to movie -- plan that was proposed by Ron Howard. 
2. Needful Things.  This book is perfect for a three night miniseries; with a bit of rewriting!
3. Under the Dome.  No, you haven't seen Under The Dome.  You've seen CBS playing Under The Dome.  I mean the Under The Dome where Junior is a serial killer -- that one!
4. The Talisman.

What's your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. I think my favorite would have to be "Salem's Lot," with "Storm of the Century" right behind it.

    I second the call for a done-right version of "Under the Dome." That's what I think was going to happen at Showtime before CBS stepped in, and oh how much better that would have been.

    Give "Rose Red" a look sometime. It's not great, and parts of it are terrible; but there's some really good stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case the favorite is the first Salem's Lot when i was a child. Also Kingdom Hospital. A fantastic serie, non good valorated

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the original Salem's Lot, and in spite of it's shortcomings, I really enjoyed IT (Tim Curry was great.) There were some parts of the Carrie miniseries that I liked, but the ending wasn't one of them (it kind of made Sue Snell look like an outright sociopath.)

    I absolutely hated the Rob Lowe version of Salem's Lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite King Miniseries:

    1. It
    2. The Shining
    3. Storm of the Century
    4. Rose Red
    5 Kingdom Hospital
    6. Desperation
    7. The Stand
    8. The Langoliers

    Books that haven't been made into miniseries yet but should be:

    11/22/63 (with Darabont in the director's chair)
    Needful Things (who'd like to see Kiefer Sutherland step back into the part of Ace Merrill?).

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete