is IT in California?

Rebecca Jacobson at pbs.org/newshour has posted an article titled, "Police arrest one of 20 clowns terrorizing county in California."  Jaconson's first lines include references to Stephen King.  
If the movies “It” and “Killer Clowns from Outer Space” gave you the heebie-jeebies, there’s another reason to be scared of clowns: An outbreak of clowns in the San Joaquin Valley are terrifying residents.
Great.  Evil killer Clown in California.   Jacobson reports on the arrest of what amounts to pranksters terorizing neighborhood children.
The recent creepy clown trend started on social media on October 1. Photos of an eerie clown posed carrying balloons in poorly lit streets of Wasco, California appeared online. The “Wasco clown” photos were taken by a husband and wife team and posted to an Instagram account as part of a year-long art project.
And now, Jacobson says, there are "armed-clown copycats."  This reminds me of something King's fiction often makes clear -- often the real monster is the people.  

2 comments:

  1. Whenever something like this happens, I honestly do wonder how well connected such people are to real life. It's when real life is shut out that the problems starts happening.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I just remembered something. This actually is something I saw outside of a local music store, Cactus Records on 2110 Portsmouth, that I frequent every now and then.

      Across from the store on a diagonal is a T-Mobile shop. I'm going there to look for a Zeppelin CD, I hear the sound of loud joke horn, I look around, and there out front, promoting T-Mobile is one of those mascot types you see ever-so often outside promoting the place. The guy was dressed exactly like Tim Curry from It; yellow suit with polka-dot blue sleeves, white glove, white face, red nose.

      I never did get a picture of that, I was so weirded out, I think, that I just turned and walked into the record store.

      Later, when I left, I walked back out, and the guy was gone.

      Cue Twilight Zone music.

      ChrisC

      Delete