King Film Adaptations That Oughta Be, 2


Here is my list of King adaptations that need to be made.  As Jamison did in his article, I will limit myself to 5.

1. The Talisman.  Big, sweeping, why is this book so overlooked?  If producers want to create an appetite for The Dark Tower, they should start with this smaller project to build public confidence and interest.

2. Cell.  Zombies are in, cell phones are in. . . so why isn't this movie already on DVD?

3. Eyes Of The Dragon.  A Stephen King family film, think about it!  Castles, kings, massive towers, a prison break, evil wizards; this stuff is awesome movie material!  The novel is short, energetic and would make a great film.  Disney should be pounding down Stephen King's door to get their hands on this project.  And someday is not good enough on this one -- I want t before my kids grow up!

4. From A Buick 8.  Told from multiple points of view, this story is not what you think it is!  Like Eyes of the Dragon, this book is not real long.  Length matters, because only a limited number of scenes can be put on screen.  Cut too many scenes, and readers scream hatchet job.  Include too many scenes, and reviewers say the movie is too long and drags.  But books like Cell, Eyes of the Dragon and From a Buick 8 are all an ideal length.

5. A Good Marriage.  Though I'd like the final revenge scene to be a little more gruesome, I really liked the way King constructed this story.  From the point of view to the carefully laid plan -- this one was good!  I wonder how long it will take before producers pick up a copy of Full Dark No Stars.  I think all of the stories in Full Dark No Stars would be great on screen!

3 comments:

  1. This is a far superior list to the one Tim Jamison came up with.

    I'm not a huge fan of "The Talisman," personally, but there is certainly enough meat on dem bones that it could be turned into a really good movie. It'd be better if made into a two-part movie, though; a single one would not be able to do it justice.

    A single movie almost certainly COULD do justice to the other four books on the list, though. If I'm not mistaken, King has said that he has written a screenplay for "A Good Marriage," so maybe that'll get made someday. Not, one hopes, by Mick Garris.

    I'd still like to see what Eli Roth could do with "Cell." I think that dude got a bad rap for no good reason. Both "Cabin Fever" and "Hostel" are great, grimy horror flicks; "Hostel 2" was a major disappointment, but one disappointment is no reason for the horror community to have given up hope on the guy the way it seems to have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cell has the potiential to be a goold ole fashioned horror film. Blood, guts, monters, strange ending.

    Give Garris a chance -- let' see what happens with bag of Bones.

    I'm with you on not being a Talisman fan! For some reason, I can't make it through this book. I'm hoping a movie will cause me to fall in love with it.

    david

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll tell you this about that: avoid the comic-book adaptation of "The Talisman." Sadly, it's not very good at all. (Plus they were not able to keep the comic going long enough to actually adapt the entire novel.)

    ReplyDelete