Does Pet Sematary Need A Redo?

I was startled when I read Kevin Williamson's article "5 thrillers that need a redo." I agree with Williamson -- sometimes a redo is a great thing. (Unless it's Children of the Corn).

Williamson notes, "Despite a recent blizzard of abysmal horror remakes — Halloween, The Omen and The Hitcher, among others — the smart, lean The Crazies proves that just because it’s been done before, doesn’t mean it can’t be done again as well or, preferably, better."

His list of suggested movies that could use a redo is:
The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (1975)
Damnation Alley (1977)
Fright Night (1985)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
Pet Sematary (1989)

Huh? Pet Sematary? I actually enjoyed the first rendering. What's interesting is that Williamson doesn't realy explain his choice. He simply states,

"There’s no author whose work merits cinematic redemption more than Stephen King. (Bafflingly, the worst page-to-screen adaptation of the lot, Maximum Override, was directed by King himself, so he can’t complain.) Of all his candidates for rebirth, though, I’m singling out this cautionary tale about the consequences of raising the dead, no matter how adorable they were."

Well, here's my quick off the top of my head list of King movies I'd like to see get a redo:
1. Needful things. This was such a strong story and it was completely lost in the adaptation. I think this would be a good candidate for mini-series.
2. Dolores Claiborne. This doesn't feel like it's King's story. It has a few scenes from the book, but the focus is on the daughter, not Dolores.
3. Dreamcatcher. Started out great, but something gets lost mid-movie.
4. IT. How about a budget this time.
5. Fire Starter. George C. Scott as a native American? Something feels empty in this rendering.
6. The Langoliers. One of those "loved the book, hated the movie."
7. Graveyardshift. I like this movie -- and I think I would like it again.
8. Salems Lot. I know it's already been redone. But even the redo was not true to the King story.
9. Silver Bullet. This is another movie I like, but it feels long and the warewolf is unconvincing. I think it would do well with today's special effects.
10. The lawnmower man. I'm putting this one here because it's such a bad movie -- but I'm not actually sure I would want to sit through a redo.
11. Sleepwalkers. I didn't understand what this movie was about when I watched it. When I read the idea behind it, I thought: Oh! that's a good story. How abotu putting the story on screen, instead of -- whatever that was!
12. The Mist. I liked all of the mist, every moment of it. . . just redo the ending please!

Anyone want to offer their suggestions for a redo.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Entertainment/2010/02/25/13023376.html

No comments:

Post a Comment