IT - Some More Thoughts


The Mini-Series:
.
I think IT is a strong mini-series that pretty faithfully represents the plot and mood of the book. Like King's novel, the adaptation is uneven. I enjoyed the sections dealing with the kids, but the adults aren't as fun.
.
Now here's what's funny to me: If you listen to the commentary on IT, the adult actors keep saying things like, "The kid who played me really did a good job. I can't remember his name. . ." As if the kids really had the lesser role. They may not have been famous actors, but they carried the stars in this one. It's the kids who make the movie work.
.
The mini-series is broken into clear segments, each one dealing with a member of the loosers club. This makes the plot easy to follow -- easier than the book, I would submit. While IT is a fun read, it really requires a quick read. Also, the interludes and other breaks (I just read a section of 3 pages with no paragraphs) make it difficult. It's best to jut plow through two or three chapters a night.
.
What I liked about the mini-series:
  • Picture of childhood in the fifties.

  • Georgie's attack. The sailboat, and kid in yellow slicker.

  • The scrapbook opening and Pennywise taking us on a tour of Derry's ugly history.

  • Like the devil, Pennywise seeks to use humans.

What didn't work:

  • The werewolf. But I've already mentioned that.

  • The pipes chasing the kid to the middle of the locker room shower.

What makes the story so compelling?

Two things: The characters and the monster.

First, the characters are strong. They deal with things we all remember. Abuse, bullying, fears, asthma, parents and so on. As a reader, I identify with a lot of that. If I didn't suffer abuse as a kid, I sure had friends who did. As adults it is these childhood terrors that propel them to success.

Second, the monster makes this book strong. King isn't afraid to let the story take us to some pretty scary stuff. It's not just a monster saying "boo" -- this is a monster who actually eats kids! I weary of stories where the monster turns out to be in the characters imagination or a product of their fears. . . oh, Pennywise is very real!

One blogger wrote, "The book is sweeping in its scope. Terrifying in its particulars. I actually read the main showdown in the sewer canals with a hand over my eyes, trying to block the pictures King was putting in my head. And I still can't block it." http://www.sheilaomalley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment