The Shining: Assessing Strengths And Weaknesses


picture credit: HERE
The novel The Shining was written by a young writer.  Doctor Sleep was written by a much more mature  author.  About six months ago I went back and read a bit of The Shining.  I was not  surprised to find that there were points that I found dry.  The novel itself is strong, but there are these patches of  difficulty for the reader.

Sean Chumley does a nice job identifying both the strengths and weaknesses of the novel in his short review at examiner.com.

I'll break this down into a simple list form.  These are quotes from Chumley's article.

What king nails:

  • The horror is often very effective
  • the characters are very well defined.
  • They're realistic people with believable problems.

Where King Wanders

  • Sometimes King gets a little too detailed with the hotel's upkeep when all we really want is ghosts. (YES!)
  • Everything has a purpose in the novel, but sometimes the payoff is delayed a bit too long to really excite.


This reminds me the Van  Hise review of THE SHINING in the Star Trek fanzine, Enterprise Incidents.  This was a special issue dedicated to Stephen King.  The effort expended for this project seems tremendous.  There is special artwork, reviews and articles.  The artwork is exceptional!

This is one of the earliest tributes to King I can think of.  Here’s what’s funny. . . reviewer James Van Hise doesn’t give positive reviews to a lot of King’s work (like The  Shining)– yet he seems to love Stephen King books.  Here’s what’s really fun –Van Hise isn’t afraid to have an opinion!  Oh, he has LOTS and LOTS!  But he shares them without apology.  He doesn’t spend a lot of time working around what he thinks, or building up to it – he just says it. That’s really refreshing!

VAN HISE REVIEW OF: THE SHINING



Mr. Van Hise likes The Shining, but complains that it has "too much characterization." While Salem’s Lot was a big novel with lots of characters, The Shining is a big novel with just a few characters.

In van Hise’s words:
"The complaint I’m making is that when writer has a finely conceived story, there is no reason to detour from it into subplots and extraneous discourses which have nothing to do with that plot. Characterization is fine, but let’s not overdo it, and this book certainly does overdo it, mostly with Jack Torrance. The book is about the Overlook Hotel and what it does to these people one winter. When the story stays here it’s great. What happened to Jack Torrance when he lsot his job is just a big rap which he wasn’t able to roll with. Drumming that fact into our heads time after time isn’t necessary. Certainly it was important to describe Jack Torrance ine nough back ground detail so that we can understand why his mental collapse is believable, but too much of this reached the point hwere it came across to me as just padding. I’m well aware that this is a terrible thing to say about a writer, and I’m not saying that this is what King did, but rather that this is the effect it achieved. Fortunately, the book’s strong points far overshadow its weak ones."
The reason Jack’s firing was so important to the book is that it was one of the catalyst for his drinking. Or return to drinking. I find all the background information does slow the story – but I can press on because I actually enjoy all these asides. If this was my first time reading The Shining, I think I too would be annoyed! "Where’s this going?" I would ask. But I already know where this is going, so I can take time to enjoy the greater depth King gives these characters.

Now, for an early commentary on the Kubrick film! Remember, please, Van Hise hasn’t had years of King and others griping about the film. It was met with generally good reviews, so it takes some perception. 
"The film is also an abortion from the standpoint of the fact that the movie ends before it even reaches the point in the book where the climax really gets rolling. Yes, the movie cuts out the climax of the book, which is the very facet of the story which insured its popularity, because unlike the film, the book is not anti-climactic. The book builds to such a wild, ever pritch that it remains a classic of the genre no matter how many other horror stories you’ve ever rad. Whereas Salem’s Lot is a better book on the whole, The Shining contains his finest climax from every standpoint, and especially for sheer power and imagination.   
Whatever else may be disappointing in the book, the climax is not! It delivers a one-two punch which carries the reader straight through to the conclusion with pile-driver intensity and in an extremely satisfying manner. This book cried out fo a powerful screen translation, rather than the commonplace treatment it received at the hands of Stanley Kubrick. Because of this, there are a lot of people out there who don’t understand why The Shining was a bestseller, or why it was even made into a film at all, and that’s criminal. Kubric has made King seem like an ordinary writer, and all because Kubric took excellent material and made an ordinary film. If there is anything The Shining is not, it’s ordinary."
I can hear the "experts" on Room 237 shouting, screaming, crying at this! "The Shining" a "ordinary" film? I love the way van Hise gives such credit to the book.

2 comments:

  1. I actually disagree with the idea that Doctor Sleep is mature in ways that the Shining is not.

    I've never attempted a multi-part comment on this page before (thanks go to Bryant and Bryan for what are essentially long fanboy screeds) and I don't know if this'll turn into one or not (fingers crossed, although I'm not sure why or what for, which sort of makes the whole gesture rather pointless actually)

    ....Where was I?

    Anyway. You say, "There were points" that you found "dry". Were these moments like the Scrapbook chapter?

    I've never had any problems with these moments in King's books, in fact they've sort of become possibly my most favorite moments.

    I think King deserves to be thought of as a historical novelist in some symbolic sense, because in chapters like the Scrapbook or the Interlude sections of It, he's able to lay out the darker thoughts of ages past (i.e. racism, etc.).

    In this, I think King is a lot like Nathaniel Hawthorne and T.S. Eliot (as well as Dickens and Tolkien). In fact, a book that kind of helped clarify my thoughts on this, Reverend is a book called Eliot and his Age by Russell Kirk. If it has anything going for it, it's that Kirk is the only other writer I know of (except perhaps for Pete Beagle and Kin) who's made me think "My gosh, this guy writes just like Tolkien (seriously, I'm not making that up).

    As for the problems Van Hise has with the Shining, they seem to revolve around the matter of pacing.

    It's interesting to note this article was written way back in, is it from the 70s, 80s, around those decades?

    If so, then such views are interesting coming from those times, when they are much more what I've come to expect from a lot of the younger crop taking over places once held by people like Roger Ebert

    To be continued (sorry about this).

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continued from above

      The thing is, as I've read over a lot of reviews from writers born as early as the 90s, I notice there's a difference in artistic taste from those born in 50s. For the 90s critics, it seems that pacing has to be sped up to be good, while for the older crowd was comfortable with a more sedate pace.

      I believe this difference has to do with the way movies were sped up in recent years (cough-hurk-Transformers!-hack!) and that the effect it has on viewer (even reader) expectations is largely conditional and relative, and that the cost is that it may keep audiences from finer shades of artistic appreciation.

      A pretty good book that goes into this in more detail is "Do Movies have a Future" by David Denby (though I do disagree with him on J.J. Abrams Super 8).

      With all this has to do with the Shining is how I think the reason Van Hise has a problem with the book is that he's reading it with a 21st century audience criteria, whereas King continues to write in a criteria more suited to those born in the 50s.

      I don't really know if any of the above was helpful or not.

      ChrisC

      Delete