Books That Have Stayed With You

image: firewireblog.com


I like METACHAT's "Books That Have Stayed With You," as well as the many responses.  The discussion is framed this way, "Five books that have stayed with you.  They don't have to be best sellers or well known. Just books you read that for one reason or other you never forgot."

One person posted:
1. Watership Down.
2. Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry.
3. All of the James Herriot books (All Creatures Great and Small, etc.)
4. The Crimson Petal and The White. by Michael Faber
5. The Stand, by Stephen King.

Let's do the same thing, but make two lists.  First books in general, then just 5 King books that will stay with you.

Non-King list:
1. Pillars of the earth
2. Cold Sassy Tree
3. 1984
4. Great Expectations
5. The Martian Chronicles

Five Stephen King Books That Have Stayed With Me:
1. The Stand
2. IT
3. The Shining
4. 11.22.63
5. Dolores Claiborne

9 comments:

  1. General

    1. Flowers For Algernon
    2. The Kite Runner
    3. The Outsiders
    4. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass
    5. The Giver

    Stephen King

    1. Hearts In Atlantis
    2. The Green Mile
    3. Bag Of Bones
    4. Pet Sematary
    5. Cujo

    ReplyDelete
  2. General
    1 All Quiet on the Western Front
    2 Kuroi Ame (Black Rain)
    3 Dracula
    4 Les Mis
    5 Let the right one in

    King
    1 Salem's Lot (first one I've read)
    2 Carrie (I was both a bully and a victim, so it resonates with me)
    3 Talisman/Black House
    4 It (I still don't like clowns-floating or otherwise)
    5 Misery (The reason why I'll use a pseudonym if I ever become an author)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes -I'd like to give it a try in French one day (my French isn't great).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly -- I just watched the movie. The book is HUGE! Seems every version is quite different, too. Stage, movie, musical all emphasize different themes.

      Delete
  5. General

    1.TLU by Peter S. Beagle
    2.The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    3.Watership Down by Richard Adams
    4.Huck Finn by Mark Twain
    5.The Lord of the Ring by Tolkien

    King

    1. It
    2. The Shining
    3. Hearts in Atlantis
    4. Misery
    5. Tie: The Body/11/22/63

    Bonus favorite Non-fiction work:

    The Writings of Dave Barry.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, the writings of Dave Barry. . .
      Well then on that note I claim Bill Cosby

      Delete
  6. General:

    Too long a list.

    Stephen King:

    1. The Stand
    2. It
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining
    5. The Green Mile

    Honestly, though, I've only read a few King books that have NOT stayed with me. Some of them might surprise you. Cycle of the Werewolf, The Tommyknockers (in fairness I didn't finish), The Dark Half and Desperation. In almost none of those cases do I blame the book for being boring or unmemorable.

    ReplyDelete