From A Buick 8 Journal #1



I started From A Buick 8 last week.  I was anxious to get to  this book,  partly because I know so little  about it.  It's about. . . a car.  It's not Christine. That's what I knew.

Now, since this is a journal, not a review, I am going to admit that I'm struggling with this book.  That's frustrating, because I so looked forward to it.

The book is told from the first person, with multiple points of view.  This gets a little  bit confusing.  And it's unclear why there are multiple points of view.  In Dolores Claiborne, the reason for the first person account was explained: It was a confession.  In 11/22/63, the first person approach was taken because it was a journal.  Of  course,  first person doesn't always have to have a "purpose" beyond the authors desire to write in first person!  But, when multiple points of view are employed, the reader is left wonder -- why are all these people talking to me?  Is this a scrap book?  Is this testimony?  It is hard to keep up with who is narrating which portion of the story.  There are moments when I'm asking myself, "What's happening?"

None of this is deadly to  the novel.  It just doesn't come out swinging, for me.

That said, the characters are extremely likable.  The story is engaging, and that gives lots of hope.  King gives us dogs and teens, two things we love and King is gifted at giving.  Add to that a really cool car -- a mystery car, and this should be a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed the scene where the police went over the car.  Things just don't make sense with this car.  Of course, it raises the question to the reader: If this is an alien car, why didn't the alien's know more about cars?  They didn't disguise it very well!


2 comments:

  1. One of the complicating factors for me with this book is King has said it's about how some things have no explanations and yet it's a Tower related novel.

    The problem here is, if you state it's related to the Dark Tower, you've given an explanation. How can something have no reason if you provide a logical explanation?

    All I'll say is never try this stuff of on a Scholastic trained, problem solving type of mind. I've found more puzzles in the Trinity and Ezekial's Chariot Vision than I have in this book.

    Like I said before, King is a good writer, though I sometimes can't help thinking he let's his imagination get carried away with itself. Still, this is a rather good book.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book now and I'm enjoying all the personalities. I think the first person point of view from multiple characters gives the book that "Investigative Reports" feel. What I also like is when King switches from one character to another, it's not a monotone dialog with a new character's name simply stamped on it. Each character is infused with their own personality which gives a depth to the situations in and around shed B. You get multiple reactions, multiple points of view; Tony seems to approach the events matter-of-factly, trying to keep everyone in check keep the situation under the radar, keep everyone safe, Sandy is horrified and revolted by the results of the Buick's productions and dreads the active episodes, Shirley offers a woman's compassion, and Curtis' raw curiosity. I also love colorful personalities of Arky, George, Eddie, and how the Buick feeds on that to either draw them in or repel them.

    I'm a little better than three quarters through the book. My idea is that the driver was a scout from an alien planet and the Buick was a mobile transporter, both disguised to LOOK like they belong on the planet, but there were obvious limitations or mistakes in the alien design. The objective to find a area of the planet that might support their life forms. I think the driver succumbed to the atmosphere, like the specimens that erupted from the Buick, and melted to nothingness. But aliens on "the other side" still manipulate the Buick to send and suck in specimens.

    I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete