Brian Keene: Influenced By The Mist


I like what I've read of Brian Keene. In fact, he's one of those authors I plan to read more of. Keene's book Darkness at the Edge of Town looks particularly interesting. One of the things I like about Keene is that he is not at all ashamed to admit that other authors inspired him.
.
This is from Keene's webpage:
.
Q: Was this a homage to The Mist?
A: Not a homage in the way Castaways was a homage to Richard Laymon or Urban Gothic was a homage to Edward Lee, but DotEoT was certainly influenced by The Mist, and the novel proudly wears that influence on its sleeve. The Mist is one of the most important works of horror fiction in the last fifty years, and remains one of my personal favorites (it also influenced The Conqueror Worms).
.
Later Keene writes:
.
Q: Plot-wise, DotEoT seems similar to Under the Dome?
A: In the sense that people are trapped inside a small-town, yes. But both are riffs on a much older theme, and DotEoT was published (in hardcover) a full year before Dome.
.

1 comment:

  1. I like The Mist. I will have to give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete