Keep Walking


Jonathan Comey at SouthCoastTODAY.com has a first person article abotu walking. His introduction is a lot of fun for Constant Readers. I'll quote the King portions and let you check out the whole article. It's worth the read.
.
One of my favorite Stephen King pieces is "The Long Walk," one of his first, a near-future novella about a group of 100 boys who try to outlast each other in a walk from Maine to points unknown.
.
The winner gets untold riches, the losers get shot. Like I said, it's a Stephen King thing.
What I liked best about the book was the way King described the feeling of walking — the sensations in your body, the feel of the outdoors, the intrusion of the elements, the inner monologue.
.
I'm in the middle of my own version of a long walk, one that provides its own story arc every time I strap on my sub-elite sneakers and head out into my neighborhood to put one foot in front of the other.
.
The story starts with me deciding that being 40 years old and overweight is not a good idea, and goes through a few notable twists and turns that are far from their conclusion. One of these plot sidebars is me, walking, every day now for two months, around my neighborhood.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment