Bad Bookcovers

I've read a lot about Stephen King, and I've read my share of complaining. Just want to mention thing under the heading of complaining and then I'll be quiet. Well, I won't -- but I'll feel better after I say this:
.
Sometimes I think the publisher must be insane to slap some of the covers they do on King books. Almost makes me want to go British just to get the better book coves. I'm talking artwork here, not quality or anything else.



A few eamples:



Insomnia:
.
I'm glad we nailed down who wrote it. Did someone actually work long hours thinking up this cover art? Is this art? Okay, here's the deal: The book cover makes me sleepy. . . so how can it be about INSOMNIA?!

Carrie:
.
Okay, one question: Did anyone read the book before putting that face on the cover of Carrie?




Just After Sunset:
.
A certain well known King bookstore had a note up that said, "Hopefully this is not the final cover." (Or something like that). Only to quietly disappear when the book was actually published What makes anyone think that this cover will sell books?

The Running Man:
.
I don't get it. What does a hand holding a glowing ball have to do with the Running Man?



The Tommyknockers:
.
This wasn't just a cover. . . it came in Gold or White. Come on, how cool is that?!! Okay, truth be told, it's not a cool cover. The British edition is much nicer.



The Talisman:
.
Oh boy! Now we can put TWO guys names on the front of the book and use up ALL the space!
.
Now, how is this cover all that different from Insomnia?
.
.
I also don't understand the cover for: The Dark Half, Dance Macabre and Night Shift.
.
May I ask: Do publishers think that maybe Stephen King fans need to be told they are buying a Stephen King book? Does the name really need to be in Atomic Bomb Headline font? Could we maybe spare five or six inches for a picture? Please?!
.
Maybe publishers think King fans are unaware of when a new book is coming out, so they have to print it real big on the cover. I wonder if book covers had anything to do with sales.
.
Someone will say: "Well, for short stories, the best thing to do is just put the name out there because there is no theme." Okay. . . then how come Night Shift got a cooler cover when it went to paperback? The hand with eyes on it is creepy. . . way better than the brilliant "white with nothing on it" look of the hardcover.
.
Okay, I'm done. Thank you for your attention.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing blog!
    I'm from Brazil, so, forget about my English!

    Keep on writing and I think Insomnia's cover was the best I've ever seen, that's why I bought! But each one has his "bad covers and good covers"

    Once more: Amazing BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how many terrible covers King books have received. There are more bad ones than good ones, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete