Link: David Roth's Review Of UR

David Roth at Tampa Writing Examiner has a nicely written review of UR.  More than that, he is actually excited about this book.

Mr. Roth spends quite a bit of time lecturing us lowly drones on his high standards for writers.  He doesn't just read anyone, ya know.  And if someone's writing doesn't grab his attention, they're ouuut!  The writers brief on Roth says, "David Roth is a writer, poet, photographer and gourmet chef with an opinion about almost everything."  I do believe that comes across. 

Roth's lecturing aside, I enjoyed his column very much.  He concludes by giving UR a "enthusiastic 5 stars." 

Roth writes, "The last time Stephen King nailed me to my chair in a single sitting reading was when I read The Stand for about the fifth time. In ways I haven’t enjoyed in decades, King’s matchless prose held me riveted to my screen. This was the Stephen King I remember from his early books, when he seemed to be having fun writing and fun poking fun at himself along the way. This is a witty King writing at his witty best. Not to put too fine a point on it, but this was just plain fun to read."

Add to Roth's credits: Only man on earth to have read the Stand in a "single sitting reading."

5 comments:

  1. I immediately distrust anyone who claims to have read The Stand in a single sitting.

    Also, I'm glad Roth enjoyed the story -- I did, too -- but is he not aware the story is a couple of years old? He seems to be under the impression it just came out. Has he confused it with "Mile 81"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, his descrption of the book was definately UR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that; I did read the review, after all.

    However, the review implies that "UR" is brand-new, which it decidedly isn't. I'm wondering if Roth recently heard through the grapevine that King had published a new Kindle-only story (which would be "Mile 81"), went looking for it, found "UR" instead, and assumed that it was what he'd read about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I am having trouble with "read the Stand in a Single sitting" thing too. I am not quite calling bullshit on it, but it is hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I thumbed through the Stand in a single sitting!

    so, he read the stand in a single sitting, and it took how long to get to UR ?

    ReplyDelete