The Stand: You Should Like This

 

Episode 9, The Circle Closes

I’m going to have to watch this episode again, because I’m not sure what I just saw.  I think I was supposed to like it.  I mean. . . the preacher in me is supposed to like the Christian symbolism, the clear battle between good and evil, the demand to resist temptation.  And I do.  Still, something feels, wrong about this episode.

The long journey home was cut out altogether.  I’m glad for that because I was afraid it would be reduced to a series of flashbacks; This episode gave us none of those hard painful slaps to the face.  Instead, this final episode gave us a journey.  But here’s the deal. . . it’s a journey that we the viewers had no vested interest in making with the characters.  Yep, sure enough, life goes on.  They drive, an the stop places, and they drive some more.  But nothing has been done to sell the viewer on why we should care about this new destination. 

The more spiritual elements were refreshing.  But they did not really move or inspire me spiritually.  Fran has this great epiphany that there is an entire other dimension all around her; both of great good and a deep well of dark evil.  Really?  She had to come this far through the world of The Stand to realize there’s a dimension of evil.  And it required a special vision for her to figure it out?  A little obtuse, don’t you think?

I’ve always liked the circle closing.  In Revelation the Beast rises again and again, and each generation, each culture, must take their “stand” against evil.  The vision promising Fran a line of children was interesting, and perhaps supposed to give us hope.  I just didn’t care.  Humans go on.  I think I’m so numb to this series I just couldn’t enjoy the final fireworks. 

Not sure what to make of miracle child either.

Know how I feel about this episode?  Glad it’s over.  Glad this miniseries is over.  Ready to give it some time and space and maybe someday I can come back with lowered expectations and find the diamond I missed on the first run through.

Was it a fun journey?  Nope.

Would I do it again?  I’m a sucker for punishment.

1 comment: