CBS The Stand Masters Story Telling

Stephen King's novel, "The Stand" ranks at the top of any Stephen King fans favorite novels.  However, moving The Stand from the written page to the screen has proven difficult.  The 1994 version was directed by Mick Garris.  I thought it was great, virtually the novel in television form.  It told the story; but failed to scare.

Josh Boon’s new version of The Stand is simply amazing.  It easily surpasses the original miniseries for two reasons.  First, not being on live television, the new series can dive deeper into the gore.  Frankly, it can tell a Stephen King story that’s a little more gritty.

A second reason I like this version has to do with the story telling itself.  King wrote the original script, so it moves just like the book; scene for scene, building for beginning to end.  Josh Boone’s version starts about a third through the book, then uses flash backs to quickly tell the story of earths end.  (I thought starting with an episode titled The End was brilliant.)

My wife aske which version I like better.  Of course, I've only see one episode of the 2020 version, but the truth is, I think I'll like both (unless they go off the rails on this one.  I mean, it is 2020 after all.)  I told my wife, it's like I've been reading Matthew all the time, and now switched to John; same story, new perspective.

With a new retelling, there are naturally scenes I look forward to

  • .Larry going through the Lincoln Tunnel.
  • The finger of God striking the nuke.
  • M-O-O-N
  • Meeting the Dark Man himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment