Ending The Mist Goes On



In an article titled, "The Mist, Love It Or Hate It," Lilja's Library posted a link to aintitcool news.  The article at aintitcool was a passionate defense of the ending of Frank Darabont's The Mist.  I loved it!  Totally disagree -- but enjoyed every bit of Quint's impassioned defense of dark endings.

The aintitcool article argues that not only are dark endings cool, but they are important for all movies because they add a layer of uncertainty to every movie watching experience.

Quint boils the issue of the Mist and the ending to this:
"So why does The Mist get singled out for its ending? I think people are a hundred times more comfortable with the idea of a big bad monster killing a person than the good guy having to pull the trigger."
I think he's right.  Really right.  And then he swings a home run,
"It would have been awful if a tentacle had come out of the gray clouds surrounding that car and yanked little Nathan Gamble out the window, sucking him into the mist for good, but people would have forgiven that. What many folks can't forgive is that Tom Jane's David Drayton is the one to kill his son."
Is this a nerd debate?  I suspected if you asked most people, they'd say, NO!  This is serious stuff.  But in truth -- it's a minor argument over a few seconds of film.  In big the scheme of things, doe sit really matter?  YES!  . . . oh, wait, my wife tells me she's never worried once about the end of The Mist.  Event though she saw it.  Not once since did she give a lot of thought to it.  Sigh.  Maybe it is a nerd debate; but it's an interesting one.

It's About Character

But let me be clear why it doesn't work for me.  It's that we are asked at the end of the movie to believe something about Drayton's character never presented to us in the rest of the film.  Let's just say, the guy at the end of the film isn't a guy I'd feel comfortable falling asleep in his car.  Throughout the film, Drayton is shown as stoic, strong, logical and ready to fight.  But when actually confronted by the monsters -- he doesn't fight, he kills his kid.  Grown men -- good guys -- don't kill little kids.  That's a pretty straight forward statement -- and it's true.  I'm not comfortable with a movie ending that tries to make the murder of a child A-OK; even cool.  I wonder if people who think this is a great ending have kids.  Of course, father's do kill their children.  And we as a society have agreed we're not cool with that.

Can you think of another scenario where it's okay for a father to kill his child?  Maybe a rapist breaks into the house, is about to rape his daughter -- so he shoots his daughter to save her from the rapist.  Doesn't work, does it?  Why?  Because you think, "why doesn't he just shoot the bad guy?"  Which make us wonder, why doesn't Drayton have any fight in him?  Why did he leave with no real plan to take on the enemy?  Wait -- But what if there's a lot of rapist after the father's girl, and he only has one bullet?  Would it be okay then to say, "You don't get my daughter!" and shoot her?  No.

Of course, The Mist offers a level of despair somewhere beyond the situations I suggested.  Because things look utterly hopeless to Drayton.  Drayton's decision at the end of the movie is a response to his own fear and hopelessness.  But he went out into the mist ready to fight and survive.  So all of his survival instincts wash away in an instant?

I'll just say that for me, the ending doesn't work because it's not the character we were presented with throughout the movie.

What I Like

My disagreement with Quint doesn't mean I didn't take his point.  In fact, I do have a new respect for the ending of The Mist; I see it through new eyes.  I don't agree, but I appreciate the perspective.  And I agree, dark endings are important.  I just want them to be -- logical.

In fact, I'm embarrassed (but not overly read faced!) to admit that Quint spots something I totally missed.  Remember Melissa McBride, who ran into the Mist to get home to her kids?  Quint writes:

Then there's the reveal that they were moments away from being saved. I'd say most who don't like the ending think it's because of this timing, but I'm not so sure. Their salvation was only moments away, but the real knife twist is when we see Melissa McBride and her family being transported past a completely broken Drayton.
What?  Of course everyone else saw it and got it -- but my entire focus was on what just happened, not on what was happening on screen.  No matter how many times I've seen that ending, I missed it!  Quint explains why that particular detail is so unnerving:

You see, he played it safe from the beginning. He did everything logically, thought through his options, and still this awful -- happened to him, yet she was reckless and ran into the mist to get home to her kids, danger be damned. She made it, her family made it, but calm, cool and collected David Drayton did not.
That's a great insight.  Of course, I didn't have that reaction, because I didn't  pick up on the fact that the lady at the end is the same lady who ran into the mist.  I was still thinking about Drayton's handy work with his gun.

Check out the article at aintitcool -- I liked it a lot.aintitcool.com

4 comments:

  1. You mention the phrase Nerd Debate. I would kind of like to know what you kind of debate you have in mind by that.

    The reason actually is because as someone who keeps abreast of the people who make pop-culture, I kind of keep getting discouraged, and this is about films that have nothing to do with King or the Mist.

    So that is where my misgivings about Quint's take on things.

    For me, there were a lot of misjudgments in the article. For instance, he mentions the importance of dark endings in terms of uncertainty. While I can't be certain, I do wonder if by uncertainty he means shaking up expectations by toying with tropes. The problem is, the toying with tropes idea is itself a trope, and I've rarely seen an instance of such a trope that didn't strike me either trite or trying to hard with so little to work with (and here am thinking of (sorry) Disney's Frozen).

    Also, I can see one element of your argument that doesn't enter Quint's. Namely, that there is something to be said for at least some kind of ethical element, at least, in most art. I don't say that in terms of cookie-cutter types or anything, but the kind of interesting story that really does offer a challenge.

    I don't think the Mist ending offers that because (1) for the most part the morality in the film is black and white and (2) by taking the bleak way out, Darabont himself admits it's more for shock value than any artistic purpose, and that just seems a misguided way of handling the material to me.

    Finally, I've found something that is the nail in the coffin for me. It turns out this ending Darabont chose isn't really original. He used similar shock tactics in his 1980s remake of the Blob. The proof is right here in this review of it. Warning contains scenes of graphic cheesy 80s horror FX, such as Freddy's Dead:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSqN8X1vRjY

    ChrisC


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blob remake is great! Darabont isn't the one who came up with the ending for the Mist, though. Read the novella again, King suggests the whole thing with the gun could be a possible ending to the story. David considers it an option to shoot the rest if the situation becomes too dire, even though he doesn't have a bullet for himself. I believe it's around the time they escape the grocery store and get into the car to drive away. Obviously this idea by King was how Darabont thought the story would end, while others think David did truly hear 'Hartford' and they got out safe eventually.

      Delete
  2. If anybody wants to read the idea for the movie's ending in the novella, it's at the bottom of this page:

    https://books.google.nl/books?id=bq6L0nHTT1kC&pg=PT136&lpg=PT136&dq=I+checked+the+gun&f=false#v=onepage&q=I%20checked%20the%20gun&f=false

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point is just that whatever one makes of the Blob remake, it contained the basic set up of the Mist film ending.

      As for that passage in the novella, there's not much that indicates David would ever really do it.

      One the chips are down, in both novella and film up until the final rug pull, he stands as a fighter, which is what makes the film ending such a deal breaker for a lot of people.

      ChrisC

      Delete